029

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗗𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝗦𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝐈𝐈

Morning came and I was startled by a knock at the door.

I was making breakfast. I flipped some bacon and started on coffee for me and my brother.

"I got it." Jughead said as he abruptly appeared within the hallway.

He had barely woke up and I wasn't surprised that the smell of bacon brought him out of bed.

He let out a yawn and rubbed his eyes, lazily making his way towards the door.

The toaster went off and I took the toast and set it on a plate. I was going for the butter when I heard the one name I didn't expect to hear so early.

"Betty?" He let out in surprise.
"Betty? Where?" I turned my head from the fridge to look at a shiny blonde with sparkling green eyes.

She smiled brightly at Jughead before kissing him on the cheek and coming inside.

"Sorry, I have morning breath. What time is it?" He said.
"Seven-fifteen. I wanted to catch you before school." She said, greeting me now.

"Hey, Betts." I smiled, exchanging cheek kisses with her.
"Hey Rhinnie, been a while." She pulled away, holding onto her school bag. There was a newspaper in her hands.

"What's The Register saying today?" I asked as she looked down at her hands.
"Well, if you've been keeping up with this week's paper, The Black Hood left a cipher."
"Oh yeah, so he thinks he's the Zodiac Killer now?" I handed my brother his plate of breakfast and he kissed my temple as a thank you.

"I have no clue but that's exactly why I came here. I'm on my way to the library. I asked Ms. Paroo to set aside all the books she has about cryptograms and ciphers. I thought it might help us crack his code. Which I'm hoping is something we can do together, Jug." The hopeful blonde looked over to Jughead who was sitting at the dinner table.

He paused his eating to look awkwardly between her and then me. I raised my brows at him.

He and Toni were already working on it together and they've been at it with every chance they had. You would always find them at The Red and Black or here at the trailer.

"Um... actually, funny enough, Toni of all people and I, we started working on that at The Red and Black. I can show you what we've got so far if you want." He said, looking away from a discouraged Tracey True.

I smoothly went across to pour him some coffee, smacking him on the head when Betty wasn't looking.

"Ow!" He whispered, swatting my hand away.
"Dick!" I whispered back.