A Stay In Bed

Credit to: The_Archmagos

For yet another dull morning in a long string of similarly dull mornings, Enid Sinclair woke up wishing she hadn't. A head-splitting dull tone rang in the space between her ears, and her first shaky breath was dry and soon wracked with a fit of coughs.

"I was about to ask how you were, but I suppose that's my answer."

Enid never could quite tell when Wednesday entered a room, and her senses presently dulled in every sense had nothing to do with that. Still, she thought she'd gotten used enough to it by now, and was mostly grateful for the more than friendly face, and the steaming contents of the tray in the girl's hands.

"Oh, Wednesday, you really didn't have too..."

The smell of it struck her first, herbal and slightly spicy. This was the third day Enid had been subjected to a breakfast in bed, and she was almost regretting the prospect of not waking up to one.

"Going from your last attempt to stand up, I find your confidence woefully misplaced. Honestly, I don't know how you hoped to survive this long without me."

Probably the most surprising discovery Enid had made while under the weather was the fact that the Addams girl was one mean cook, though with some strange ideas about what passed for ingredients. She thought she'd seen Wednesday try and catch pigeons through the window, but if any such avians entered her soup Enid couldn't tell, or mind.

"Yeah, that's probably the reason I called you over here, not so I'd be keeping your lonely ass company."

Down onto the bed went the tray, two stands kicking out from under it and balancing themselves on either side of Enid's legs. The wafting steam left a pleasant touch on her face, and Enid drank in the smell before moving to take a sip. Chunks of cabbage, carrot, potato, and chicken floated around in the simple soup, and drinking clear broth Enid's muted taste buds were given a new lease on life, as their flavours combined by Wednesday's hands danced like a roaring fire on her tongue, giving her a more vigorous wake-up then every cup of coffe she'd ever had drunk all at once.

"So, how do you feel?"

Those words slid off Wednesday's silver tongue so much more easily now,

"Like shit warmed over, Addams."

Which was near enough to the truth, which was that Enid felt like her present state of health had barely gone upwards in the whole week she'd spent like... well, like this. Honestly, there were few things more tiring than being able to do nothing while everyone else had to help you, and Enid was feeling downright weary.

"Well, time for us to take another step towards changing that."

"How?"

Enid asked the question, already knowing the answer.

"I hope you didn't forget the most important part of your every morning, and your eventual recovery."

"I kinda hoped you had......"

Wednesday reached down and pulled out a little black bottle from her dress pocket, and through the glass a now much diminished sea of inky black nectar sloshed around, entirely unappetising. Upon hearing that the Addams family medicine cabinet had been its source, Enid had refrained from asking what were its ingredients.

"Don't insult me so, Enid, I never forget. I'll leave this for you after breakfast, however. Wouldn't want to spoil what appetite you still have,"

"I'd thank you for being so kind, but for some reason I think you'd hate me for that. Still, I'm grateful, Wednesday, you've done a lot. Going to take a break now?"

"Not for as long as you still need me here, Enid. I suppose monitoring your tonic consumption beats preparing lunch, but at any rate I won't be leaving you for a little while more."

A smile teased at the corner of her mouth, which Enid didn't want to hold back.

"Not to keep an eye on Thing downstairs?"

"He's a grown appendage, he can handle himself."

"Not if the house gets set on fire?"

"Getting you out would be my first priority."

"Not even if I asked politely?"

"Well, I suppose that depends......."

Oh, Enid had missed this in the past days of purgatory, missed what it was like to speak and breathe easily and crack a joke with the girl who never cracked a smile outside a cemetery. She wondered if she'd break Wednesday yet on that. Enid knew she looked forward to many more days together to try. So did Wednesday.

"You know, you don't have to waste the morning waiting for me here."

"Perhaps, but I think I will. After all, for you, I have all the time in the world."