Our Symphony

Credits to: Ruby_Bear2919

Enid was so confused.

They were making so much progress as friends, but something about it made Wednesday closer yet distant. It had only been a few weeks after Wednesday helped the werewolf with her "silly" problem. After Esther very ungraciously conceded about having her daughter switch schools, the bubbly rainbow of a girl demanded that they celebrate. And even though she showed very little enthusiasm, the dark stormcloud agreed.

That night, Wednesday allowed the blond to play whatever she wanted, including movies, music, and games. The raven even allowed a hug. After that night, Enid would use any reason to repeat that, and with each time she called those reasons "ridiculous", the seer would agree. But the dark girl had been acting odder than usual for the last few days.

Wednesday would claim to be busy, leave in the middle of conversations, avoid the blond for hours, and she had even started talking to Yoko more. However, with every "I'm busy," there was always a "later". Any time the raven would leave, she would return moments or hours later and ask if the taller girl wanted to continue talking. The werewolf would catch the shorter girl glancing her way and even give a slight smirk. Even if Wednesday avoided Enid, she wasn't ignoring the girl. The dark girl clearly had something on her mind, but when the blond approached her, she said it was unimportant to the blond. An "unforeseen development" or "surprising realization" is what Wednesday called it.

None of those explanations eased the blond's nerves, as rarely anything caught Wednesday by surprise, and she had back-up plans for back-up plans.

Enid was thinking about all this as she walked around the school grounds. It's her go-to stress reliever when Yoko can't help her and it has been a while since she took a good walk. Maybe she would hear Wednesday's cello. Despite the odd changes, the raven still kept her religiously strict schedule.

Ten minutes into her walk, the werewolf heard the beginnings of soft notes filling the air. Thanks to all the stone and open space, the practiced ebb and flow was as clear and strong as standing beside the talented raven. Enid hummed along to the usual warm-up Wednesday started each session with a few scales, multiple cords, a pause as she adjusted the strings, then another cord. All of which the blond could imagine seeing, precise dedicated movements. And as the raven began playing, Enid frowned and stopped walking.

The seer was never one to openly share her feelings unless they were contempt and hatred. Otherwise, you would have better luck guessing what the cello player felt than asking. However, Enid knew her roommate was, at the very least, part human, as she still showed her emotions. She tended to vent with the help of her cello or typewriter, harshly clacking out a chapter or two depending on how strong she was feeling at the moment.

Now was no different, but the tone and pace of the music were new coming from the raven. It shifted from angered to sad, then dark and pained. Every pull across an instrument almost larger than the player, painful pucks against strung lines, and each pause that felt like a gasp for air. Just as Enid could imagine the dark girl practicing, she could imagine the girl up on their shared balcony playing her heart out. However, the werewolf thought something was missing, and Enid found she wanted to howl. She didn't understand why, but it felt right, especially with how the music made her feel. She needed a bone-crushing hug, to dig her claws into something soft or simply stop her bleeding heart. And then a thought crossed her mind.

Why couldn't she howl? Why couldn't she hold the raven and howl as she played? It would stop the aching pain.

The walk quickly turned into a sprint as the blond raced to her dorm before Wednesday could finish and pack the cello away. Enid wasn't sure how she would handle keeping the emotions in if she got to the room after the seer ended and started her writing time. Thankfully, that wouldn't be a reality the taller teen would need to face. When she opened the door, the dark girl was still playing outside on the balcony, and Enid took a moment to catch her breath.