on the gray scale

Credits to: iamagreasytree

Ever since Wednesday could remember her world had been gray. Well, black and white. Really, it had just been colorless. Even the flowers or fancy dresses people spoke of were just gray and bland to her. Nothing sparked her interest, nothing seemed to have a pull on her. Of course, there were things that genuinely did interest her. Her novels to name just one example. Also, of course, torture and suffering and really everything that would upset her mother. However even with those interests things just seemed bland and everything she didn't necessarily prefer to do just seemed like something that had to be done, something that would just pass by her, not affecting her in anyway. Shortly, for Wednesday everything seemed to just have different shades of gray.

When her parents just mentioned sending her to Nevermore boarding school Wednesday almost felt everything become a shade darker. She had dreaded the day they would finally find an excuse to send her there. The school both her parents had attended and the school where especially her mother had outshone everything and everyone in everything she did. Winning at fencing and being in the school's secret society. She had done everything and Wednesday was sure people would hold it over her head.

"Do I have to? I promise I'll even kill one less person a year if you send me to normie school again. Mother, please." Wednesday begged nicely, probably for the first time in her life. She did not want to attend that school and she was going to do everything in her power to get out of it. The court-ordered therapy sessions seemed like a good window for her to escape if she shouldn't convince her parents not to send her there in the first place. She was sure, by the time she got there, she would've figured out plenty of ways to escape. How hard could it be? What could possibly keep her there?

It didn't take long before they arrived at Nevermore, soon entering the principals office. "The Addams family! I've been patiently awaiting your arrival." A tall lady stood up from a desk in the center of the room, greeting Wednesday and her family with a smile. "Wednesday, this is Larissa Weems, my old roommate and now the principal at Nevermore. Say hello." Morticia Addams, Wednesday's mother motioned toward the tall woman, returning the warm smile she had been greeted with. "Hello." Wednesday didn't try to hide being unpleased with her situation. "Welcome, I'm sure you'll love it here."

Wednesday offered no reply in return. "You'll be staying in one of our largest dorm with a roommate." Principal Weems explained, still smiling. Wednesday looked at the woman, looking at her formal clothing, but yet boldly applied make-up. Wednesday thought it was funny. She was sure the principal's bright red lipstick might appear shining to other people but to her just another shade of gray. Just like everything else. The colorful sunset she could see from her window every evening? Gray. The bright roses her mother kept in her winter garden? Gray. Even her own image depicted in any mirror. Just gray. Everything was bland. Wednesday was sure she wouldn't even have noticed had people around her not constantly talked about how exciting and colorful the world can be. From rainbows to flowers, to- she wasn't even sure. People were just excited about everything.

"I'm sure you'll love Enid. She's among our brightest students and honestly just a delight to be around." Wednesday hadn't even noticed that principal Weems had continued to talk, but didn't care either way. She wasn't going to be here for long anyway so it didn't really matter whoever this Enid person was as long as she didn't interfere with Wednesday's plans.

"I think Ms. Thornhill will be here in a minute to accompany you to your room. She will be your dorm-mom and you will talk to her about any problems that might occur in your dorm hall. Whatever it may be." As soon as principal Weems had finished talking, someone started knocking on her door before slowly entering. "Speak of the devil." Principal Weems looked at the woman that just came through the door. She was relatively short, had red hair and wore thick glasses. She seemed generally inconspicuous. Wednesday probably wouldn't have noticed her in a passing crowd. What did seem interesting about her was the flower she was carrying.

"You must be Wednesday!" She seemed delighted. Ew. "I like to give every new student a flower that appears to be fitting with them. This is the bla-", Wednesday interrupted her. "The black Dalia. Like my favorite unsolved murder case." The red haired woman, Ms. Thornhill nodded. Wednesday nodded. "Seems like I was right about this flower, huh?" Ms. Thornhill smiled at Wednesday, giving her the flower.

Wednesday and Ms. Thornhill were walking toward Wednesday's new dorm, having left Wednesday's family behind. "So, what are you most excited for?" Ms. Thornhill tried to make friendly conversation. "Getting out of here." Wednesday replied truthfully, making Ms. Thornhill uncomfortable. "Yeah, sure." They stayed silent for the rest of the walk.

"Here we are. The room is quite large so no need to worry about the space." Ms. Thornhill knocked on the door, before entering the same way she had the principal's office. Slowly and careful. "Enid? I have your new roommate here, who is very excited to meet you." Ms. Thornhill stepped aside and motioned for Wednesday to come on. 'Liar', was Wednesday's last thought before stepping into the room.

The room was almost blinding to her eyes. She's never felt this before. After her eyes had adjusted, she looked around until her eyes landed on a blonde girl about the same height as her. Never had anyone caught Wednesday's gaze like that. Suddenly all the colors were bright and shining. Suddenly everything made sense to Wednesday. Everything the people had been talking about. All the exciting colors, the weird feelings in her stomach.

Maybe this school wouldn't be so gray after all.