Eye of Newt

Credits to: strawberry_fieldz

Wednesday was curled up in her favorite nook, leafing through the pages of a book when Enid arrived. The book's pages were yellow at their edges and smelled of old time, fragile enough that it felt as though it would crumble to dust beneath the gentle touch of her fingertips. The cover was as black as a raven, a bit tattered and dusty but still held the promise of interesting contents within. Wednesday's dark eyes scoured the pages as Enid sashayed into the room with a smile on her face.

"Hello, dear," Enid greeted. Wednesday's eyes traveled upwards to meet her wife's face with a half-smile of her own. Enid hummed and leaned over to kiss Wednesday's forehead, just below her bangs and just above the space between her brows, just like she liked it. "What're you reading?"

Wednesday shut the book closed, a bit of magic escaping in a cloud above it (or maybe that was just more dust) and Enid sneezed.

"My grandmama's old spellbook," Wednesday replied, tracing the cover decorated with small bones. "There are some interesting recipes in here, Enid. Of course, we'd have to find a market that sells the ingredients to make them..."

"What?" Enid laughed. "Don't tell me, does it involve the eyes of newts or- or, um, a lizard's tail?"

Enid looked to Wednesday, waiting for a reaction to her joke. Wednesday simply stared back at her, unamused, and nodded.

"Yes. Why?"

"Oh." Enid gulped.

You'd think after ten years of marriage Enid would be used to Wednesday's antics but she wasn't. Perhaps that was what made Wednesday all the more alluring to her, always so mysterious and dark like a puzzle Enid would never be able to put together... but she liked to try anyway.

Enid's hands appeared from where they were behind her back, revealing a bouquet of roses. They were fresh, smelled of dew, and a vibrant red that would bring Snow White's lips to shame.

"I saw these at the store today--the regular store, not one that sells eyes of newts," Enid explained as Wednesday stared at the flowers quizzically. "They reminded me of you, mon cher. You know, roses are a symbol of love."

"Quite," Wednesday said with a raised eyebrow.

She took the bouquet in her hand and stood beside her wife before kissing her gently. Physical affection from Wednesday was rare--she wasn't too keen on it, regardless of how much she loved Enid--so Enid treasured the kiss with a warm smile. When Wednesday pulled away, she admired the roses a bit more before nodding.

"These would look lovely atop the fireplace." Wednesday nodded to burning heath kept between two large bookshelves. "You picked amazing stems, by the way. Such pointy thorns. Thank you."

Enid nodded brightly. "Yes, you're welcome-" Then, she processed what her wife had said. "Wait. Stems?"

"Yes, of course." Wednesday moved to a desk tucked in the corner room. She pulled open a drawer and brought out a pair of shears and pointed it to one of the roses in the bundle of flowers. With a simple snip, the rose's petals fell off of its stem and onto the floor below as Enid watched, horrified. "We only keep the stems of roses around here," Wednesday smirked. "It's an Addams family tradition."

Enid sighed. No, she would probably never understand Wednesday Addams, no matter how many years into their marriage they were, but she loved her not in spite but because of it. Enid came over to her wife and hugged her from behind, nestling her head in the crook between Wednesday's neck and shoulder and planting a kiss there. Wednesday hummed, the smallest of smiles perching itself on her dark lips.

"Whatever you say, dearest," Enid murmured against her as Wednesday continued snipping the roses off of their stems. "So long as you don't make me eat your lizard-and-newt soup or whatever."

"No promises."