Gift of The Wolf

Credits to: Ruby_Bear2919

If you asked Enid if she was nervous about going on a date with Wednesday, she wouldn't say no. The blond girl was pacing back and forth in her dorm room, waiting for a certain raven to show up.

Sure, they have been on "dates" before, but those were more like... outings. They would go to the Weathervane, take walks, and so on. Not to mention, it has been a month after a somewhat awkwardly sweet confession. So, a date is long overdue, but everything had to be perfect.

(Enough of that, Sinclair! Game face on, Wednesday will be back any second.)

The tall blond took a deep breath and checked that everything was in place. Clear weather, check. Flashlights, check. Warm coats, check. Blanket, check. Wednesday... still not back. Enid looked at the time, and it was ten minutes after Wednesday's last class.

(Any minute...)

Soon enough, Wednesday walked through the door with a deeper scowl than usual. She mumbled a string of obscenities and threats before looking up to see Enid. The raven's cold glare immediately softens at the sight of an anxious Enid.

"I apologize for not being here sooner. I will make no excuses for my tardiness, just know that we may be getting a new wolf rug." The shorter girl set her bag down as she spoke, huffing slightly before walking to the blond.

"Now, what is it that you had thing run across campus for me?"

Enid held out her hand to her girlfriend, and the raven took her hand immediately.

"I was hoping you'd like to go on a date with me." The blond answered in a soft, shy tone.

"Where to? The Weathervane? We were there yesterday, and I doubt they added anything new to their menu in that time."

"No, I mean a proper date. I promised you something nice, just the two of us."

Now Wednesday looked up at the blond in confusion before lightly cupping her cheek.

"Cara mia, I would be honored to join you on a date. Though, any moment I'm with you constitutes as a date.

Wednesday looked over at her desk before adding, "April 16th, 2023."

"Oh, you smart ass. Get your jacket on before I leave you." Enid was still blushing from the first part.

Both girls got their jackets on, and Enid offered her arm before escorting Wednesday out of Ophelia Hall. Their destination was pretty close. Just a light walk past the school walls, and though the werewolf walked the same path earlier, it was different at dusk.

The forest was quiet, with a few clouds overhead and impending night, sending a shiver down Enid's spine. Just as they were reaching a clearing, Enid stopped and turned to Wednesday.

"So, before we go any further, I want you to know that we can leave anytime. But to go further, you'll have to.... you'll have to smell like me." Enid spoke confidently though she was extremely nervous.

"Or you can stick close. But I know you like your space. So it's up to you."

It wasn't as if the two hadn't done this before, but Enid didn't want to push Wednesday in any way. Now the werewolf was slightly cursing herself for talking it over with the raven.

"Hmm, very well. However, I am also not opposed to being next to you." Wednesday said plainly as if it was common knowledge.

Enid felt her heart flutter, and the werewolf moved closer to the shorter girl and slowly moved to hug her. It was simple, but Enid buzzed with her arms wrapped around Wednesday. A gentle nuzzle against the raven's neck, and it was done. The taller girl hummed happily when two hands cupped her cheeks and cool lips pressed against her forehead.

"All done?"

Enid nodded.

"Good. It would be a lie to say I am not curious about why we are outside." The raven said as she fixed Enid's coat collar.

"Hmm. So, this space isn't sacred, but it is very special to werewolves."

Enid continued leading the way into a grassy clearing. Few wildflowers grew in the space, but the stone circle is what caught Wednesday's eye. No more than twelve large, flat stones stood upright, and the seer paused in her walking. However, Enid passed between two of the rocks before turning around and giving a reassuring smile.

"It's okay, I promise."

The words coaxed the raven to take a few more steps, and she was soon back at Enid's side. The werewolf only beamed with joy.

"Come on. It'll be fun."

Now her excitement had gotten the better of her. Enid pulled Wednesday to the center of the clearing and pulled out one of her darker blankets. She laid it on the grass before sitting on it and patting the spot next to her. The raven squinted suspiciously at the wolf before sitting with her.

"Alright, now what?" Wednesday scooted closer to the blond, unsure how close she needed to be.

With a giggle, Enid made a cone around her mouth, then let out a loud, long howl. The dark girl jumped the tiniest bit in surprise.

"Enid, what are you-" but the seer couldn't finish when a gold mote of light bloomed a few yards away from the pair.

The werewolf let the howl end naturally and smiled more when more wisps appeared.

While the motes reassembled a "Will-o-the-Wisp" to Wednesday, they slowly formed into the more recognizable shape of a wolf. Bright gold wolves with two blue spots for eyes. And one after the other, more spectral wolves stalked toward the girls curiously. One excitedly bounded to Wednesday and tilted its head before sniffing the air. No sound was made as it did so. Even when it barked, it was silent.

"What are they?" Wednesday was almost at a loss for words.

"Hmm, that's a tricky question. Some say they are lost souls, the wolf half of werewolves, werewolf ancestors, or even werewolves before birth. My family believes the last one." Enid explained as she watched the wolves run around.

"It's like seeing a possible future or past. These wolves could be related to me, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles."

Wednesday hummed and leaned closer to Enid until she was resting on her shoulder. It was calm, watching the wolves run and play silently.

"Your children?" It was said in a soft yet teasing tone when a smaller wolf pup tumbled after its mother.

Enid went rigid, and even in the dark, the raven could see the girl's beet-red face.

"Ah! I guess so. I didn't really think of that, but maybe one or two. Not that I have plans for that. We're still- I'm still too young for that, and it would have to be with the right person. And I'm not saying you're not the right person. You are like the best person. Better than best, you take my breath away, and if I had a kid with you- not saying we have to eith-" Enid's frantic rambling abruptly stopped when Wednesday's lips fell on hers.

With a soft hum, the werewolf let her thoughts melt away and were replaced with simpler things. Like Wednesday's soft lips, the way a cold hand rested on hers, and the curl of a tiny smile on the other girl's lips. The thoughts lingered as the raven pulled back to speak.

"Thank you. I needed a break from today, and this is perfect." The seer whispered before resting back on the blond's shoulder.

Enid slowly wrapped her arms around Wednesday, making sure the raven accepted the action. And for the next hour or two, the couple stayed like that at the moment. Shifting every other moment to get comfortable again.

However, the two never turned around. But if they had, they would've seen a trio of small pups. They played and rolled around silently, not too far from the pair. One was a shadow-like wisp with the same blue eyes as the other wolves. The other was gold with red eyes. The last was a patchy black and bronze with one blue and one red eye.