Fake Dating

Credits to: contramundi01

"So you want me to pretend to be your girlfriend because?" Wednesday Addams asks her roomie and, though admitted reluctantly, best friend Enid Sinclair.

"Because I know you're just as tired as I am of being asked out and this solves the problem for both of us! And after everyone saw us hug, us including you the ultimate touch me and die person, everyone will believe it without too much questioning. Just a bit of hand holding and a trip or two together to Jericho each term and we'll be boy free! Trust me, I've read loads of fanfics and this always works. It's foolproof."

The small goth eyes the werewolf skeptically. It's true that both have been on the receiving end of unwanted attentions after their actions against the Hyde and Crackstone ended with them both labeled heroes of the school. Enid might have been spared if she and Ajax hadn't fallen apart as a couple during the long winter break, but that's how things go with first relationships, they just fell apart after a while. At least that one was much more cordial than Wednesday's tragic breakup with the Hyde after all of one date and two kisses.

Wednesday sighs. "While I highly doubt fanfiction is a reliable source of life advice and this scheme of yours sounds like something out of one of those romantic comedy movies you so enjoy, fine. If I can go a month or two without puppy eyes from boys who were rightfully terrified of me last year then consider us girlfriends."

Enid squeals hit a pitch to match Wednesday's singing and she pulls her roommate into a hug. It says a lot about how things have changed between them that Wednesday both allows her and lightly wraps an arm around her as well. Enid pulls Wednesday into her side and pulls out her phone.

"We need a photo! I'll post this and announce it on my blog. Everyone will know by dinner and we can finally eat in peace." Wednesday watches Enid write the post, just the picture with the caption 'And they were roommates.' Wednesday shoots the werewolf a questioning glance and gestures to the post. "Trust me, anyone other than you will know exactly what it means."

Wednesday's doubts were misplaced. As they made their way down to dinner Yoko and Divina were ecstatic, jumping up and down while hugging Enid and both repeating how it was about time. The goth girl was grateful they kept the physical excitement aimed at the werewolf, Wednesday only receiving the kind words and bright smiles. She nodded at them in thanks. Finally at Nevermore's cafeteria there were definitely a few whispered conversations that were obviously about them from all of the staring. Of course unlike fiction it was only a few small pockets of people who knew one or both of them personally and not literally everyone. And for all the excitement around their newly announced courtship, not a single person challenged it and not a single person came to ask either of them out. Wednesday and Enid both sighed in relief, the werewolf going so far as to rest her head on Wednesday's to the cooing of the vampire and siren with them.

And so they pretended to date. It wasn't hard, a lot of it was things they'd naturally do as friends. Walking to class together, eating meals together, going to a coffee shop in Jericho that wasn't the Weathervane together. It was easy, it was natural. Sure Enid would hold her hand sometimes or rest all over her, but Wednesday could tolerate that. They were friends, she trusted Enid with her life, owed it to her even. And maybe, just maybe, she was starting to enjoy it.

A month and a half into their fake courtship Wednesday surprised Enid by not moving to her typewriter during the usual writing hour. The shorter girl was standing where the makeshift line in their room used to be, arms crossed and eyes pointed anywhere but Enid.

"Wednesday, is something the matter?" Enid asks, she rushes from her bed to just in front of the goth girl. It makes her think back to last year and how many conversations they had just like this.

"I don't believe we should continue this ruse, the fake dating, that is." Wednesday still isn't looking at her. "I am loath to admit it, but I am becoming too comfortable in this sham. I worry that our friendship will be damaged when this comes to an end."

"So you're tired of pretending?" Enid asks, a hint of something in her voice that Wednesday can't identify.

"Yes."

"Well what if we didn't pretend?"

"That is what I'm proposing, yes." Wednesday allows her eyes to flicker to Enid, and surprisingly the werewolf is grinning. Her eyes are predatory. Wednesday feels a thrill of something travel up her spine.

"Not quite. You're proposing we end the fake dating," Enid says as she steps over the line. They're just barely an inch apart now. Enid leans down to whisper in Wednesday's ear, "I'm proposing we just end the fake part."

Wednesday shivers and slowly turns her head. The two lock eyes for a moment before Enid takes Wednesday's chin her hand and ever so gently tilts her face up and to the side. Wednesday closes her eyes and Enid brushes her lips against the smaller girl's. Wednesday's hands find Enid's shoulders and she pulls the werewolf closer, returning and deepening the kiss. They lose track of how long they stand there, stopping each kiss only when their bodies' desperate cry for oxygen is impossible to ignore. Finally they separate with one last chaste kiss.

"I like your idea better," Wednesday says.

Enid nuzzles her cheek against her very much now real girlfriend's. "Like I said, fake dating always works."