Goo Goo Muck

Credits to: strawberry_fieldz

Wednesday settled her breathing until it was even. The dance was still raging as hard as ever behind the doors of the corridor she now found herself in. She'd just danced her heart out (or what was left of it) and escaped the scene as soon as the song had finished. She didn't like all the attention that was suddenly on her by the end of her dance. She'd preferred the spotlight after saying a snarky one-liner or when offering her wisdom in morbid matters such as necromancy or different types of toxins. Not this.

She stared at the tips of her combat boots that peeked out of the edge of her black dress, a characteristically ironic color to wear to a dance where everyone was supposed to wear white. When she felt her normal breathing pattern return, she found the fog in her vision had cleared and she was able to snap back to reality. She could still hear the pounding music, the chatter and laughter from her peers who'd moved on from her strange display of dance moves and Wednesday reveled in the fact she was alone for a moment to question herself for the reason she even came to this stupid dance.

Then, there was the sound of the large doors creaking open and a voice above the swelling sounds of partying.

"Wednesday?"

Wednesday didn't react, didn't move a muscle as the owner of the voice walked over to her and sat beside her. It was Enid. Her roommate, sweet, optimistic, irritating Enid. Wednesday had come much closer to her cheerful companion than she'd like to admit, especially since the girl was the near exact polar opposite of her. She didn't like the company of other people most of the time... but Enid seemed to be an exception.

Enid was the only other person who wore something not-white to the Rave'N besides Wednesday. She was clad in a short, pink wig and dress, light enough to still pass as a white-adjacent color and still showing her bubbly personality, and wore matching makeup with it. Even if it wasn't exactly Wednesday's taste, she could appreciate Enid for being herself, just like she was.

Enid tossed her head down with a laugh as Wednesday continued to stare down at her lap. "I didn't know you could dance like that."

"My mother and father insisted on enrolling me in dancing lessons when I was young," Wednesday explained in that ominous way of hers where every word sounded like she could be leading up to telling a murder mystery. "It was mostly waltzing and other formal dances but I managed to develop my own way of doing things."

As Wednesday usually had in every aspect of her life her parents tried to control.

"That's pretty cool," Enid said with a nod. "No one ever taught me how to dance. I kinda just do whatever I'm feeling like, a 'dance like nobody's watching' sort of thing." Enid chuckled to herself. "God forbid my parents try teaching me how to dance. Could you imagine?"

Wednesday couldn't since she didn't know Enid's parents but said nothing anyway.

"What are you doing out here?" Wednesday asked suddenly after a moment of quiet.

"Oh, I just wanted to keep you company, roomie." Enid shrugged. "You seem pretty lonely out here all by yourself."

"I like being alone," Wednesday reminded her with a glare. "Besides, didn't you bring a date...?"

"Lucas?" Enid looked to the side. There was something she wasn't telling Wednesday, she could see it in the way her face contorted in embarrassment and warmed. "I guess, I mean... I don't think he's really my type."

"Oh?" Wednesday shifted so she was facing Enid, their eyes meeting quickly before looking away again. As the head queen of all school gossip and drama, Wednesday suspected Enid always knew who and what she wanted. She had to have a good reason for bringing Lucas. "Why did you bring him then?"

"I was trying to make a certain someone jealous," Enid replied. "I don't think it's working, though."

Ah. Ajax. Wednesday knew Enid had a crush on him since the beginning of the year, she'd told her so. It made sense he wasn't catching onto Enid's ploy. He was pretty airheaded, as though the snakes on his head weaved their way inside his skull and took place where his brain was supposed to be.

"You should just tell them then."

Enid looked to Wednesday curiously, swinging her feet in her seat as she fidgeted nervously. Wednesday, meanwhile, was perfectly calm, hands folded in her lap, and staring at Enid without a second thought as to why the other girl was so anxious. Enid's multitude of emotions was beyond Wednesday and she resigned herself to not keeping up with them.

"Really?" Enid asked with a smile. "Should I ask them to dance?"

Wednesday blinked and looked around the empty corridor as though she was scared she may be the butt of a joke on some prank show without her knowledge. "Is that a trick question?" she grunted. "We are at the Rave'N."

"Right." Enid nodded, as though just remembering.

Outside the doors, the loud hyper pop party music had slowed into a gentle tune, something for swooning couples to dance to romantically.

"Do you still remember how to waltz?" Enid asked suddenly, blush apparent on her cheeks.

"Yes." Wednesday lifted a brow. "Why?"

"Could you show me how?"

Enid offered her hand towards Wednesday, who simply stared at it, confused. Then she remembered their conversation from a minute ago. Enid must've wanted her to show her how to dance properly so she can impress Ajax. Yes, that made sense.

"Fine." Wednesday took Enid's hand as she smiled brightly and Wednesday managed to give her a half-smile in return. "But I will be tripping on your feet if you don't keep up with me."

"Sounds good," Enid hummed as Wednesday led the way back to the doors and to the Rave'N, blissfully unaware of the way Enid's face deepened in color at the touch of her hand.