Moon x Turtle

Turtle couldn't believe his life was so complicated.When he'd arrived at Jade Mountain he had one mission: stay in the shadows.If no one even noticed you, they wouldn't care about you.
Turtle didn't like being popular, or important.He'd rather just be comfortable reading a scroll in silence.
So when dramatic things like him telling his Winglet he was an animus appeared, things got strange.And that wasn't all.Love also happened.

Turtle didn't expect to fall in love with anyone, especially not a RainWing.
But she was hyper, and funny, and affectionate, and just made Turtle's heart skip a million beats.When she gazed at him with those eyes, it made him feel like he was the most amazing dragon in the world, rather than one of Queen Coral's many sons.

But Kinkajou didn't have eyes for him, and that made Turtle depressed. If she wasn't the one for him, then surely there was no other.Kinkajou liked shiny, heroic dragons like Winter, or charming, jokey dragons like Qibli.Not shy, socially awkward dragons like himself.Turtle was weird, and there was no doubt about it.Why would he ever think Kinkajou would like him?

Turtle stumbled around in the darkness for a while, merely existing.
He didn't hang out much with Kinkajou, or even the rest of the Winglet.And just as he foresaw, no one really cared.Everything ran the same as before, and no one noticed any change.
It made Turtle wonder for a bit if he was even truly alive.Was he a ghost?
That was foolish, and he knew or deep down. You have to make yourself noticed, not just stand there and wait for people to care about you.

Turtle sat in the library like he did every day after school, hunched up in the corner with a good scroll in his grasp.A candle beside him flickered light onto his page, and he let out a sigh.Starflight glanced over at him every time he sighed(which was a lot), and Turtle could clearly tell he was concerned.The blind librarian didn't believe in being sad while reading a scroll, unless it was a sad story, then you had every right to bawl your eyes out.Turtle wasn't reading a sad story though, he was scanning absently through a scroll about SeaWings.

He was just getting to the part that explained SeaWing brains, when a small black form entered the library.
Turtle recognized it as Moon, the NightWing in his Winglet.He didn't know her very well.She was quiet.
She usually came to the library a little after him and sat across the room reading her own stack of scrolls.
But this time, she came over to Turtle with a single scroll and sat down beside him.She wrapped herself tight in her wings and let out a hum.

They read in silence together, and Turtle felt oddly at peace.He stopped sighing and began reading, and was done the scroll in no time.He didn't have anymore around him, but was scared that if he got up, Moon would leave too.So he sat there, re-reading the SeaWing scroll again and again. He was on his fifth time reading it when Moon finally spoke.

"Do you want to swap scrolls?"

"What?"Turtle blurted.He wasn't confused.He actually understood perfectly.But that was just what came out of his mouth.Moon smiled at him, and not a smile full of pity or sympathy.It was just a smile.
A friendly smile that dragons share with each other for no apparent reasons at all.And Turtle loved it.

"I just noticed you have read the same scroll at least five times now."Moon laughed lightly. "We should swap.Unless you really are interested in SeaWings.I wouldn't think a SeaWing would read a book about himself, though.My scroll is about animus objects, and it's really fascinating."
she held out her scroll, and Turtle gently took it, handing her his.

"Yeah, sure.Thanks."Turtle managed to choke out.Then they began reading again.Moon looked engrossed in the SeaWing book, which pleased Turtle a bit.He was glad to know his kind interested her.Her scroll was really neat too, and Turtle honestly read it twice in a row.And it wasn't just because he didn't want to get up.
Moon was right, it was fascinating.

At the end of the day, Turtle and Moon left together, the sun going down.They didn't speak as they walked down the hallway.Turtle was headed to his room that he shared with Umber.Moon reached her cave before he reached his, and he waved to her.She smiled and nodded, saying a quick, "same time tomorrow,"before disappearing in her room.Turtle continued on, soon entering his own room. It was dark inside and Umber was asleep in his bed, his sides rising and falling rhythmically.Turtle curled up in his bed, the soothing sounds of his clawmate's breathing lulling him quickly into a shallow sleep.

***
Weeks flew by in what seemed like days, and Turtle found himself enjoying life a little more.He hung out with Moon every day at the library, and learned a lot about NightWing culture in short conversations he shared with her.They didn't talk a lot, of course, mostly read, but sometimes they did.
And Turtle always enjoyed it.He knew Starflight was happy to see them, because whenever they entered the library together he would smile brightly, and not stop smiling until they left.Sometimes Turtle brought Umber, or Moon brought Sora, but mostly it was just them.And Turtle liked it like that.Sora was quiet, and a lot like Moon, but it still didn't feel right.Umber was okay, because Turtle was used to him, but he still wished that the MudWing wasn't there.

Turtle and Moon together read the entire library.Every single scroll was read by their eyes, and touched by their claws.Sometimes Turtle read scrolls to Moon, and sometimes she read stories to him.They shared secret respect for each other, and it was like their friendship didn't have to be talked about.Turtle didn't know he could like someone as much as he like Moon.
He cared so much about her, more than he ever cared about Kinkajou.

He'd moved on, and he was okay with that.And if Moon didn't want to be his girlfriend, then that was okay too.
Because more than a mate, he wanted a friend.Someone he could really trust.
Moon was a mind-reader, and he was an animus.Turtle wore skyfire, and Turtle promised he would never enchant anything that would hurt of change Moon.They were buddies.

"Moon,"Turtle spoke softly one day, when the two were curled up on the beanbag chairs. "I'm so glad we're friends.You really make me feel less lonely, and I love it when you read with me.You make every story in these scrolls so much more enjoyable.And even when you just sit there, you make me feel special and wanted.So, thanks.
I wanted to tell you I really like you.
And if you don't like me back, that's okay.I just want to be your friend, and maybe more, if you'll let me."Turtle didn't even know he had the confidence to say those words, yet he had!

Moon smiled warmly. "I feel the same about you, Turtle.Kinkajou is loud, but I love her.Qibli and Winter are amazing, but you're extra special.I feel like we just get each other, y'know? I don't have to act a certain way around you, you just get me for me.So yes, I would like to be your girlfriend, if that's what you're asking."she giggled.

Turtle smiled so hard it hurt.He'd finally found someone who returned his feelings and loved reading and writing just as much as he did.

Take that, Kinkajou!

A/N: That was really fun to write.
1200+ words! I wrote this at, like, 11:00 at night, so I'm exhausted now. But I had a Brisk so I made it through. :P Hope you liked it!

-Leafy/Capy 💚🤎