Chapters 31

Becky

It's Sunday and I don't have any works at the office. I already finished law and I am officially a lawyer but I never have an item yet. So I spend my free time enjoying what makes me happy and cherish every little moment that matters.

Just like any other day, I stayed at the house with Caleb and Nate since it's our usual day out when it's Sundays and we are staying at the house for now since Nate is tired and I don't have the energy to go out for the day.

Caleb is playing with his toys sitting on the floor while Nate and I are sitting opposite each other on the couch.  The television is on but only Nate is the one watching it because I am busy looking at some photos I had from way back before.

A lot of things change after I left and it's all for the better. Regrets might be part when I left but it was the best choice I did. It was for the best, and I am not gonna go back and wish I never left. Because if I hadn't...

I might lose myself in the middle of trying to help someone find themselves.

"Rei?"  Nate's voice took me out of my trance making me avert my attention towards him.

"Hmm?"

"Your phone's been ringing a couple of times already. Aren't you gonna pick that up?"

"H-huh?" I look at him confused before feeling the vibration of my phone on my stomach. "O-oh i'm sorry about that. Just zoned out for a bit."

"That's fine Rei."

"I should pick this up."

"You should."

I walked out of the living room making my way on the balcony to answer the call. As I was about to press answer, the call ended making me sigh and yet it rang again for the second time and I found out it was my mother.

"Mom?"

"Bec?"

"Yes, what's the matter?"

"Bec you need to come home."

Mom's statement made me stop dead on tracks.  Her voice cracked up like she is crying and her uneven breaths is visible. She was trying to calm down and so do I but her vulnerable voice makes me lose control.

Home?

Why is it so sudden?

"W-what? W-why?"

Confusion wash over me as I don't have any reason to be going home this abrupt. I mean, if this isn't an emergency why would I go home?

Let alone left Caleb?

"B-bec... B-bec y-you n-need to..."

"Mom calm down please. Calm down for me. What happened? What's wrong?  Why are you crying?

Silence.

The only thing I could hear is her sobs.

"Mom?"

"It's your Dad."

"It's your father Becky."

"What? Why? What happened to dad? Is he okay?" I tried to sound calm but my hands are shaking uncontrollably. I'm nervous as hell and I don't know why but this conversation makes my heart skip a bit.

"He was involved in a car crash."

"WHATTTT!"

My voice went higher when the revelations unravel. I almost dropped my phone and Nate on the other hand also jump from his seat and walk towards me.