// Hidden Fears //

"Are you guys feeling better?" Yona asked as the group rests upon rock in the middle of the forest. You watched as Yoon had checked the dragon's temperatures to make sure they were truly okay. "Perhaps it was because of Kalgan's medicine, but we feel much better." Jae-ha says taking a seat to your left.

"Yes, however ever since we returned to Kouka kingdom, I feel like a got a lot better." Kija says, as he takes a seat to your right. You nod your head in agreement. Ever since you had returned to Kouka, you felt a lot more refreshed and energized.

It was as if Kouka was your life source, and the further you went away from Hiryuu castle, the more danger your life fell into. Well, perhaps that also had something to do with the crimson illness. As you were mulling over these dark thoughts, Zeno ruffles your hair and smiles.

"You all seem better!" Zeno says with his usual carefree smile, even though he was the one who was injured and ripped apart the most. The group watches him curiously, not a single scar nor scale remained on his body. "Do you really not die?" Yoon asks, still slightly worried and perhaps even scared of what had happened to Zeno.

"I won't die." Zeno says with a smile, taking a seat on the ground and playing with Ao. He notices the multiple looks of concern he was getting and smiles. "I will not die. I will stay long enough to protect you all and make sure not a single hair on you is harmed." He says, as the group grows quiet, unsure on what to say. They felt relieved to know such a powerful person was there to protect them, but they did not want to see Zeno go through that over and over again.

"We all appreciate your words and truly are honored and grateful, but if protecting us means you have to go through that over and over again we don't want it." You tell him, watching as an unfamiliar emotion had washed over his face. Zeno wasn't expecting that.

"Zeno you are a powerful being, and according to the dragons you are a strong shield but above all you are our friend, no,  you're more than that. We are family. And I do not wish to see you in any pain like that. We will protect and support each other." You say, getting up and dusting the excess dust off your dress.

Zeno smiles, he hasn't thought of it through that perspective. Zeno was just prepared to protect you all no matter what. "Well then, we should begin setting up the camp for tonight." You say, walking away from the group and towards the forest to go gather some firewood.

"(Name)." Hak called out, as he began walking after you. However in all honesty, you were slightly mad at Hak. The words you had told Zeno, they applied to Hak too. You were tired of being pushed away, just to be protected.

You understood Hak's point of view, and how he simply wanted to protect you. You weren't as strong as him, or as brave as Yona. You knew that you would only get in the way. But to blatantly be pushed away every single time. There could've been some other way to protect everyone and make sure no one got hurt.

Perhaps being mad at Hak wasn't the proper thing to do either. But you were worried. If he continues to go swinging his glaive like that to protect you, something could happen to him. And you didn't want to see him in any pain. You couldn't live without him.

"Oi, Ms. Chubby Cheeks." Hak calls out once more, but you simply ignore him and walk deeper into the forest. "Lady (Name)." Hak says, his tone less playful than the first time he had called out to you. Before you could go deeper into the forest, Hak gently grips onto your wrist, and prevents you from walking any further away from him.

You finally turn and look at him. "You're finally looking at me." He says, softly smiling and you almost gave into his smile and the way his sapphire blue eyes looked at you with so much affection. You debated just running into his embrace, and once again becoming that lady that is always protected, and pushed away in times of danger. But you didn't want that.

"Let me go, Hak." You say, and Hak frowns. "What's wrong, my lady?" He asks, and you were reminded of the title you were often called with at the castle. You take a deep sigh and look at him.

"So? You're not gonna push me away and ask someone to drag me away from you this time?" You ask, as Hak's eyes are flooded with realization. He was slightly surprised at the fact that you were mad at him. You almost were never genuinely mad at him.

"(Name), in that situation, the best thing for both you and the princess was to-.." Hak was cut off. "I've heard that a million times. 'It was to protect you' or 'the best thing to do was to get you out of there.' Hak, believe me i've heard that same line over and over and over again." You said, not allowing Hak to respond.

"My father pushing me and my brother away to protect me from the assassins, yet he once returned barely alive! My mother pushing me away so i wouldn't know the way my own father died, to protect me from the pursuers! My brother pushing me away and even hiding his real feelings so he could protect and prevent me from knowing of the cruel truth of my father's death! You pushing me away, and leaving me behind so i wouldn't become an enemy to my own brother! Yona pushing me away and taking up a weapon so i wouldn't have to!"

"Believe me, i've seen it happen multiple times. My loved ones have always pushed me away to protect me. But if you think about it, my father has passed away, my mother has passed, my brother has become a murderer and his own death is nearing him! Every single person who has pushed me away is living a horrible life. Are those sacrifices worth it? Is putting your own life on the line to save my stupid life worth it?" You ask as you feel tears pooling in your eyes.

Perhaps Hak had finally understood. That he should've reassured you more, that he should've found a way to let you know that he wouldn't get hurt. For your sake. Hak never knew how much his parent's sacrifice for you had affected you.

He pulled you in closer, and you rest your face on his chest, your arms encircled his body. And Hak's encircled yours. He warmly rubbed your back, and allowed you let out all your pent up anger.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm stubborn as hell and I swear to god i'll stay with you until your last breath. I will make sure you do not regret my actions. Your words are my law and i shall do as you wish. But, I cannot let anything happen to you either, so i'll grow stronger so you won't have to worry about me. I'll prove to you that i'll stay by your side for all of eternity, my princess."

"Stupid Hak, i'm not a princess. Don't call me that, it's embarrassing. However, you got the 'my' part right."

🌺🌺🌺