5. Starting a new life is easy... Forgetting an old one is hard

'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that'

-Harry Potter 'The Sorcerers Stone'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stared at the ceiling in deep thought; not realizing the door had opened. I wonder where I am. Are people looking for me; are they worried? No, I doubt it, everyone could care less where I am. I bet they hope I'm dead.

"I see your awake."

I immediately snapped my head towards the voice.

Bad move.

Even though Kinase had completely healed me, my body was still very sore. I winced as I got a throbbing cramp on my neck, and stared at the person who had spoken. It was an old man. He had on red and white robs with some kind of hat. He looked friendly, but I learned a long time ago looks can be deceiving. I remained silent, so he spoke first.

"I see you are both curious and wary as to who I am and why your here" he said taking a puff from his pipe as the smoke wafted cross the room and made my eyes sting.

Yeah, I guess that was true. Still I remained quiet.

"My name is Hiruzen Sarutobi" the man continued "but everyone calls me Lord Hokage so you can too."

He gave me a warm smile and I just stared. That was a real smile; unlike the ones I usually received. This one was full of warmth and greetings. Lord Hokage reminded me of the grandfather I've always wanted.

Loving and kind.

I don't know how I was able to conclude all that from a name and one smile, but I did.

"Lord Hokge?" I said slowly "where...um...where exactly am I?"

"Well" he said grinning "we have two names for this village. One is The Hidden Leave Village, and the other is Konohagakure ."

What?! I just blinked at him and he chuckled.

"I see you're not from here" Lord Hokage said "to be expected. You did fall from the sky."

I still didn't reply. I don't understand? Why is he...

"You seem to have healed rather quickly" he said "if you'd like you can leave the hospital tomorrow morning."

My eyes got watery and I stared at him. My heart. It hurts! Why is he...

"Seeing as you've nowhere to go" he continued "you can live with me. I'm sure my grandson will like the company."

"Old man?" I said slowly cutting him off.

He looked up surprised I had spoken. His look of surprise vanished and was replaced with a grin.

"Yes, what is it" he said curiously.

"Why" I said as tears formed in my eyes.

The surprise returned and he stared at me confused.

"Why are you doing this" I said, tears falling down my face and into my lp "you don't even know me! YOU SHOULD HATE ME! Why do you even care?!"

The tears were heavily falling down my face like two waterfalls, and I sobbed deeply. Lord Hokage stared at me with sympathy and pity clear in his eyes. I wiped at my eyes but no matter how much I did that the tears still came.

"I see" he said simply "in your former home. You were abused and mistreated. You feel you don't deserve my kindness."

I chocked back another sob and raised my head to look at him. Pain. So much pain.

My heart was clenching painfully in my chest yet, he hadn't said anything cruel to me. Why do I feel like this?

"I don't deserve your kindness" I said wiping my tears "I don't even deserve to live; I have no purpose in life! I'm just a freak that no one cares about and no one loves!"

There was silence again and I sobbed like a maniac.
No family.
No friends.
No one who cared.

What was the point?

"Actually" Lord Hokage said "you deserve my kindness."

Surprised, I looked up at him through teary eyes.

"All your life you've been mistreated" he said "unloved, not cared for. So in exchange for all of that heart break and suffering; I want to help you. I want to show you the love and respect you've always craved so you won't be sad and lonely anymore. For that, is a fate no one should succumb too."

My heart clenched painfully again and I clutched it as my tears flowed heavier. This man. He was so kind. H-He didn't even know me!

As the tears slowly falling down my face continued a small grin found its way on my face.

He cared.

Unlike everyone else in my life; he cared. I smiled as tears of joy and sadness fell down my face.

'There is good in the world' Kinase said 'either you find it. Or it finds you.'

'Kinase...' I said fondly.

'You are a very strong girl Ruka' she continued 'you may not know it, but you are both special and strong. You'll see...'

Kinase grew silent and didn't speak again. I wiped my tears away again, and thankfully they didn't come back. I looked up at Lord Hokage and saw he was smiling at me warmly.

Such a pure smile. I've never seen one before. Their usually fake.

But his?

His is real. I smiled back at him, something I've never done, and spoke to him.

"My name is Ruka, and I was wondering...um... I was wondering... if you'd be my friend?"

Lord Hokage gasped in surprise and stared at me, but I continued to smile. I've never smiled before and it felt good. I felt alive! Lord Hokage gave me a closed eyed smile and grabbed my hand.

"I'd like to be your friend Ruka" he said softly.

I nodded and said "by the way, my favorite color... it's purple."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Aww! You made a friend Ruka.

Ruka: *shyly smiles* It feels nice.

Naruto: Yeah! Good for you Ruka-chan! Believe it!

Ruka: *blushes* T-thanks. Oh, and Story_of_Fate13 doesn't own Naruto.

Me: Sadly... Later guys!