78. Rescue mission: The power of Water and Lightning

'The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today'

-H, Jackson Brown, Jr.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Hinata and I leapt towards the Eshabea mountains I couldn't stop thinking about Naoki.

Is it because I have a soft spot for cats?

I know she's a fox and not a cat, but I still feel so connected to her for some reason. I just can't explain it; it's like I've know her my whole life. I exhaled deeply and cleared the image of Naoki from my mind.

I have to focus! How can I expect to save her and I'm in lala land?!

"Hey Ruka" Hinata said quietly "I think we've got company."

My eyes widened and I tilted my head slightly to the side as I sensed the Chakra presence of at least five people. Hinata and I exchanged a glance and we both nodded as we continued forward.

"What should we do" Hinata said.

"Well" replied slowly "they might have been the mercenaries that kidnapped Naoki so we don't want them to know we're heading toward the Eshabea mountains."

Hinata nodded her head in understanding and opened her mouth to speak when I heard the thud of what sounded like a Kunai stuck in a tree. We both stopped and held onto the branches as we looked around for the source of the thud.

"Look" Hinata said pointing at a tree right next to us "it was just a Kunai, they missed us."

I stared at the Kunai suspiciously for a long time and my eyes widened when I heard a faint hissing sound.

"BOMB!"

BOOM!!

The force of the explosions sent us both flying backwards in different locations as my back slammed hard into a tree and I winced in pain.

~Naruto's POV~

I winced slightly as I felt a indescribable pain in my back and Pervy Sage glanced over at me.

"You okay" he said curiously.

"Yeah" I said simply "I got a painful feeling just now. I can't describe it though."

"I could heal that for you" Tsunade offered.

"DON'T TRY TO ACT NICE NOW YOU OLD LADY!" I yelled standing on the table "YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE HOKAGE!"

Shizune gasped and remained quiet as Tsunade got an irk mark on her forehead and TonTon made little noises.

"I DON'T WANT TO BE HOKAGE! YOU INSOLENT BRAT!" She yelled standing on the table as well and glaring at me.

I glared back at her but I couldn't shake off what had just happened.

I hope....I hope Ruka's okay.

~Ruka's POV~

I hurriedly stood up and took out my Kunai as the dust from the explosion blew around me; whipping my hair back.