38. Naruto's 'thank you'

'We loved with a love that was more than love'

-Edgar Allen Poe
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto....

He went out last night and hasn't returned. I stayed up the entire night listining to the eerie hoot of an owl and the vicious growl of what might have been a bear.

'Don't worry' I told myself repeatedly 'he'll be back.'

'And if he's not?' A nagging voice said in the back of my head.

"He always comes back" I reassured myself aloud "always."

I nodded firmly to myself and closed my eyes....that night I cried myself to sleep.

Now it was morning, about 6:30 a.m, and Naruto was nowhere to be seen. I remained silent as my teammates ate all around me, not even caring that one of our own was missing. I stared at my breakfast but didn't eat, what's the point? Even Kakashi Sensei didn't look worried.

"Um...." Tsunami said slowly "hope you don't mind me asking but um....where's Naruto?"

Naruto....

I frowned and held my hands together as my vision blurred with unshed tears. Before anyone else could answer, Sakura opened her mouth.

"Who cares" she said shrugging "he shouldn't have went out like a idiot by himself! Ruka said it was a bad idea."

I remained quiet as Sakura berate Naruto, she was bullying him. I could tell because the same harsh things, were said behind my back from people I thought were my friends. As Sakura's mouth contiuned to move no words came out of them. I was caught in a daze, thinking about the torment and pain it does to be called stupid and weak.

The pain it's like to be judged so harshly by a....friend. I shook my head sadly, friends are fake, they act like they care but they don't. Sakura never cared about Naruto and now that he's gone she talks about him because she doesn't have the audacity to do it in his face. She's....a....Coward....

"Ruka!" Sasuke whispered loudly at me, snapping me from my daze "I called you like ten times!"

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was laying in the forest dead right now" Sakura said smirking and crossing her arms.

I snapped.

"Sakura?" I said quietly "can I tell you something?"

"Yeah" Sakura said smiling "sure."

I looked up at her angrily and soon the smile dropped from her face.

"YOU'RE A COWARD!" I yelled angrily making everyone jump in surprise "YOU PRETENDED TO BE NARUTO'S FRIEND NOW YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT HIM BEHIND HIS BACK! YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE YOU'RE TO SCARED TO SAY IT TO HIS FACE BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES AFTERWARDS! YOU ARE A COWARD! AND YOU ARE THE EXACT REASON PEOPLE LIKE US HAVE SUFFERED SO LONG! BECAUSE YOU DON'T CARE! I WISH YOU WERE DEAD IN A FOREST RIGHT NOW!"

I exhaled deeply. My eyes were stinging uncomfortably and my breathing was small and pained. The room was deadly silent and everyone was staring at me with wide eyes. A tear slipped down my cheek and I sadly wiped at it as I walked over to the door and clipped my weapons belt on my waist.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you" I said more tears streaming down my face "but I'm going to go look for Naruto. I'm sorry I yelled. Sorry."

I opened the door and walked out of it before gently closing it and heading forward. I shouldn't have called Sakura a coward, that was rude. I don't know what came over me! My emotions just piled on top of each other and I exploded. I sighed deeply and groped my head, I'm losing it.