25. Assembling the team

'Don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest'

-Anonymous
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone continued to stare at us when the door suddenly opened and Iruka Sensei walked in. Sakura let go of Naruto and everyone returned to their seats as I slowly sat down and exhaled deeply. Naruto sat next to me hesitantly as I avoided his gaze.

"Ruka...."

"I don't want to talk about it" I said abruptly "just forget it."

Naruto frowned slightly then nodded and turned his attention to the front. Iruka Sensei sighed deeply and stared at all of us with a smile.

"As of today" he began "you are all ninja. To get here you have faced difficult trials and hardships...."

As he said this he gave Naruto a small smile.

"....but that's nothing" he said dramatically "what comes next will be far more difficult. You will now all be grouped into teams of three with one group of four since we have an uneven amount of students."

Everyone nodded excitedly and started to talk quietly amongst themselves as Iruka Sensei pulled out a clipboard. I wonder what team I'll be put on. I hope it's a good team with good people. I zoned out everything that was happening until I heard the words Team 7.

"On Team 7" Iruka Sensei said staring at his clipboard "we have Naruto Uzamaki, Sakura Haruno...."

At this Naruto cheered happily and Sakura hung her head in pure disappointment. I find it so weird that Naruto likes being around Sakura. I'm going to have to ask him one day.

".... Saskue Uchiha...." Iruka Sensei said, still staring at the clipboard.

This time Naruto hung his head in disappointment and Sakura cheered happily. Wow, what an unlikely team. I wonder how they're going to put up with each other. I patiently waited for Iruka Sensei to tell the team members of team 8. Maybe I'll be in that team; I sort of wish I was on Naruto's team though.

"....and Ruka" Iruka Sensei finished.

Never mind. This time they all cheered expect Sasuke because he was, as always, in his own little world.

"Hey! We're on the same!" Naruto said happily smiling at me.

I grinned back and Sakura sighed in relief.

"Thank God!" Sakura said "you can keep Naruto away from me!"

Naruto anime fell and I giggled as Iruka Sensei continued to give the name of the different teams.

*****

It was finally lunchtime and Saskue had went his own way. Sakura decided to go look for him and Naruto decided to go hang out with Sakura so I was alone. That's ok though; I know exactly where to go. I went over to that giant tree with the two swings and sat down as I sighed deeply. This is where Naruto and I very first became friends. I smiled; remembering that day like it was yesterday and decided to sing.

'You're the light, you're the night.
You're the color of my blood.
You're the cure, you're the pain.
You're the only thing I want to touch.
Never knew that it could mean so much, so much.
You're the fear, I don't care.
Cause I've never been so high.
Follow me to the dark.
Let me take you past our satellites.
You can see the world you brought to life, to life.
So love me like you do, love, love, love me like you do.
Touch me like you do, touch, touch, touch me like you do.
Love me like you do, love, love, love me like you do.
What are you waiting for?
Fading in, fading out.
On the edge of paradise.
Every inch of your skin; is a holy grail I've got to find.
Only you can set my heart on fire, on fire.
Yeah!
I'll let you set the pace; cause I'm not thinking straight.
My heads spinning around I can't think clear no more.
What are you waiting for!
Love me like you do, love, love, love me like you do.
Touch me like you do, touch, touch, touch me like you do.
What are you waiting for.
Yeah!
I'll let you set the pace; cause I'm not thinking straight.
My heads spinning around I can't think clear no more.
What are you waiting for!
Love me like you do, love, love, love me like you do.
Touch me like you do, touch, touch, touch me like you do.
What are you waiting for.'

-Love me like you do by 'Ellie Goulding.'

I finished singing and exhaled deeply. I haven't sung in a while; that felt good.

"You still have a beautiful voice" a voice next to me said.

I turned my head and saw Naruto sitting on the swing next to me. I blushed and opened my lunch box as I took a bite of my food.

"Ruka, I'm sorry I lied about kissing you" he said frowning "I was a jerk for doing that. I just didn't want anyone to think my first kiss was with Sasuke."

"I-It's ok" I stuttered nervously.

"No" Naruto said angrily shaking his head and staring at me "would you stop that?!"

I stared at him confused. What is he talking about?

"S-Stop what?" I said confused.

"Would you stop acting like everything that happens is ok with you!" He said frowning sadly "Ruka! If I'm bothering you; just tell me and stop acting like you don't care!"

I blushed and turned my gaze away from him. How long has he been feeling that way? Does he really think he annoys me?
"Naruto" I said shyly "I....like....being around you. You don't bother me at all."

There was an awkward silence after that then Naruto suddenly smiled and hugged me. My whole face turned red and I slowly hugged him back.

"Thanks Ruka" he said sitting back down.

"You're welcome" I muttered "h-hey? Could I ask you something?"

"Yeah" Naruto said turning towards me "what is it?"

"Why do you like being around Sakura so much" I asked curiously.

Naruto stared at me surprised then smiled and said "don't tell anybody but....I have a huge crush on her dattebayo!"

Imagine your heart being a car....just do it.

At first your just cruising calmly down the highway; then you suddenly stomp on the brakes and slam head first into a truck. Yeah, that's how I felt when Naruto told me that. I stared at him for a long time then I gave him a small smile.

"That's great" I muttered turning my head away.

Why did hearing that hurt so much? It's not like I love Naruto.... right?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Dun, Dun, Dunnnnnnnn!! End of chapter 24. Why did hearing that hurt Ruka so much? Is it possible she loves our little hyperactive knucklehead ninja?

Naruto: I doubt it. Right Ruka?

Ruka: *Remains silent*

Naruto: Ruka?

Ruka: Story_of_Fate13 doesn't own Naruto.

Naruto: Wait... Ruka?!

Me: Later guys!