Bonus Chapter!!!! 31/5. A promise

'I loved her, not for the way she danced with my angels; but for the way the sound of her name could silence my demons'

-Christopher Poindexter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Naruto's POV~

I think I'm in trouble now.

After punching Tazuna in the stomach for calling Ruka a freak everyone else had to leave, but Lord Hokage was making me stay behind to talk.

"Grandad" Ruka said biting her lip "it....um....it was an accident! Naruto didn't mean to do it."

Yes I did.

"I know" Lord Hokage said slowly "I just need to talk to him for a second."

Ruka frowned slightly and I placed my hand on her shoulder. She jumped slightly, as though shocked, then turned towards me blushing heavily.
"It's alright" I said smiling "I'll be fine! Believe it!"

She stared at me for a long time like she usually does every time I say 'believe it'. It was like she was deciding whether to believe me or not.

"Ok" she said slowly, then she turned and left with Sakura, Sasuke, Kakashi Sensei, and Tazuna in her wake. As soon as the door closed Lord Hokage sat down.

"Sit down Naruto" he said sighing deeply as he leaned his chin on his palm.

"Listen old man" I said taking a seat "I know punching that alcoholic gargoyle wasn't right but...."

"Naruto."

I stopped talking and looked up at the old man only to realize he looked....worried. Why worried I don't know but that was clearly the expression he had.

"You do know that Ruka has no parents" he said "don't you?"

I slowly nodded; "yeah. She....she told me."

Lord Hokage nodded and said "Ruka is a very intelligent young lady, Naruto. However, her worst fatal flaw is that she is naive. She sees the world as it should be rather than how it is. She's gullible yet strong."

I carefully listened to every word he was saying. Shocked, by what I was hearing.

"This world" Lord Hokage continued "is a horrible place and Ruka, unfortunately, is a sweet, innocent girl. However, in this world things that are sweet and innocent never last. Never. One day something will happen to Ruka and she will break completely. Her pride will be shattered, her dignity ripped to shreds, and her heart broken. So Naruto, I need you to make me a promise."

It took me about a minute to snap out of my daze when I realized he had finished talking. Everything he just said, it made me feel worried for Ruka's safety as well. I cleared my throat and nodded.

"Sure anything" I said "but....why didn't you ask...."

"Kakashi?" Lord Hokage said and I nodded "because your Sensei, though loyal, would not understand. If I asked such a request of him he would state that I was being paranoid and wouldn't do what I asked. However, I trust you, and Ruka trust you. So will you make me a promise Naruto?"

I hesitated. What could Lord Hokage possibly want me to do that Kakashi Sensei can't? Whatever it is; I'll do my best. I firmly nodded my head. Lord Hokage sighed in relief and began to speak.

"Promise me you will do your best to protect Ruka from harm" he said "promise me you will not let her wander off on her own and make sure she doesn't let anyone pursued her to do something she might not want to or be ready to do."

"I promise" I said firmly without hesitation.
"Finally" he said "promise me....please....that you bring her back alive."

Alive?

What did he think was going to happen on this mission? Still, everything he just told me about Ruka....

"I promise" I said "that I'll bring her back alive. I swear that on my life!"

Lord Hokage nodded and said "then that's all I wanted. Thank you Naruto, and....good luck."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Hey Guys! Told you I would give you that bonus chapter! This is only because I love you! ^.^

Naruto: I thought you said it was because you had a lot of votes?

Me: *Slaps him* BAKA!

Naruto: OW!!

Ruka: Story_of_Fate13 doesn't own Naruto.

Naruto: Can I have a ice pack?

Sakura: No.

Naruto: *Pouts*

Me: Later guys!