51. The forest of death

'Love me when I least deserve it because that is when I really need it'

-Swedish proverb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konahamaru and his friends giggled and disappeared as I sat there blushing.

W-We're they really listening?! I stood up and peeked around the tree only to come face to face with Naruto. My whole face and neck turned red as he stared at me and grinned.

"Sorry for being a jerk" he said softly "I'm glad you're my friend Ruka."

I just contiuned to stare at him, my face the deepest of red possible. I can't stay mad at Naruto forever, it's impossible with the way he makes me feel.

"ALRIGHT YOU FOUR!" Anko yelled angrily "INTERVIEW OVER!! GET YOUR ASSES OVER HERE!"

Naruto rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand as we went back over to Anko. Sakura and Sasuke following behind us.

"Ok" Anko said sighing deeply "now down to business!"

Anko then began to explain how the second part of the exam would work. She explained how each team will start off with either a Heaven or a Earth scroll. If you got a Heaven scroll it was your team's job to get an Earth scroll from an opposing team and make it to the center of the forest where the end was. Same rules  applied if you had an Earth scroll.

"ALRIGHT!" Anko yelled making everyone jumped "NOW GO GET YOUR SCROLLS!!"

'Why is she so loud?' I thought as we went to the booth to receive our scroll.

*****

"Ok" Sasuke said after we left the booth "who wants to hold the scroll?"

"OH!" Naruto said loudly "ME! ME!"

Sasuke glared at Naruto then handed the Heaven scroll to me. I stared at him confused as he firmly nodded and placed his hands in his pockets.

"Y-You want me hold it?"

"Yeah loser" he said ignoring Naruto's disappointed face.

I blushed and slipped the scroll in my weapons belt. I can't believe Sasuke is trusting me with this!

"I-I won't let you down!" I said grinning.

"I know" he replied, thumping me on the forehead "that's why I gave it to you."

My heart leapt in my chest at his words and I blushed. That was different, Sasuke has never made me feel that way before.

"Everyone's heading towards the gates" Sakura said "let's go!"

We all nodded and went over to the gate where we would enter the forest. Anko sat down on a rock and watched us as she yawned deeply.

"Remember maggots" she said smiling "five days. One Earth scroll, one Heaven scroll. Center of the forest. Don't die. Don't run out of time."

Everyone nodded and pulled out a Kunai. I sighed deeply and held my Kunai firmly in my right hand. I felt someone slip their hand into my left one and I turned to see Naruto. He smiled at me softly and I blushed.

"You can do this" he reassured me "you're not weak Ruka. Believe it!"

I grinned slightly and nodded. Yeah, I can do this.

"5!" Anko said as proctors stood by everyone's gates, getting ready to open them.

"4!"

I looked over at Gaara's team and saw Gaara was simply standing there with his arms crossed, waiting for the gate to open as Kankuro and Temari whispered to each other.