31. The start of something new

'Distrust and caution are the parents of security'

-Benjamin Franklin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"W-We....what?"

"You pass" Kakashi Sensei said simply crossing his arms "this whole exercise was about one thing: teamwork. I was still testing you all when Ruka took a fight with me. I figured while we fought I would hold her at bay and see what you three did. You must not have wanted her to get sent back to the academy alone so you came to her assistance in battle."

We all stared at him confused; our minds still processing what we just heard.

"Wait" Naruto said a small grin starting to appear "you mean.... we pass?! We're ninjas?!"

Kakashi Sensei nodded. Naruto whopped happily and started jumping around saying he was going to be Hokage. Sakura smiled and squealed happily as her eyes glazed with tears. Sasuke huffed and crossed his arms but a small sigh of relief escaped his lips.

"Those who break the rules are scum" Kakashi Sensei said "but those who abandon their friends are worst than scum."

Naruto glanced at me and smiled sweetly as I blushed. Sakura smiled and happily hugged me. Sasuke glanced at me and gave me a small grin. Friends....I slowly started to smile; I really do have friends.

*****

"The target is in sight" Kakashi Sensei said through the small device on our ears "is everyone in position?"

"Naruto, Point A! Believe it!"

"Sakura, Point B."

"Point C."

"R-Ruka, Point D."

"Ok" Kakashi Sensei said nodding firmly "ready....GO!"

We all jumped from our points and Naruto ambushed the cat first.

"MEOW!!"

Naruto grabbed the cat firmly and held it upside down as it scratched his face.

"Ow!" Naruto said throwing the cat at me "it scratched me!"

The cat sailed towards me and I panicked; seeing as I am a major cat lover. I hurriedly caught it and lovingly stroked it's soft fur. The cats breathing, which had been fast and scared, gradually slowed down to a satisfied purr.

"Target acquired" I said as Kakashi Sensei came from behind the tree.

"Excellent work you four" he said nodding "let's take this to Lord Hokage."

Granddad.

A large grin spread across my face and we walked, well I kind of jogged, to his office.

"What's got you so hyped up" Naruto asked me curiously, causing me to blush.

"Oh!" I said "w-well do you remember when I told you about my grandfather?"

"Yeah I do!" Naruto said excitedly "believe it!"

"Lord Hokage adopted me" I said smiling and blushing deeply.

Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke all looked confused but Kakashi Sensei looked shocked like he already understood. The cat in my arms shifted around slightly, then once it was comfortable, it slipped into a light sleep.

Do they not know what adopted means?

Hm....?

*****