48. The beginning of the Chūnin exams!

'If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live'

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed completely still as the stranger chuckled and removed their hands from my shoulders.

I was shaking slightly with fear but I tried not to let it show. Stupid, I was stupid for coming up here by myself! The stranger sat next to me and stared down at the village with a chuckle.

"Ruka" he said slowly "do you know who I am?"

He asked the question as though he expected me to know the answer. Like if I got the question wrong he would kill me.

"N-N-No, I don't."

"Hmm" he said simply "well that's disappointing."

He remained silent and I nervously exhaled. Who is this? Why does he always seem to find me when I'm alone?

"W-Who are you?" I asked turning towards him "how do you know me?"

He turned towards me and smiled before reaching into his cloak. I hurriedly placed my hand on my weapons pouch, but he simply pulled out a necklace that was around his neck and showed it to me. It looked....familiar. It was kind of carrot shaped and it had a golden frame with a light red liquid in it.

"Does that answer your question?"

I contiuned staring at the necklace, not replying. Why is that necklace so familiar to me? A sort of realization hit me and I gasped. Is it really....?

I pulled out the necklace that was tucked under my shirt and compared it with his. My necklace was silver and carrot shaped but mine held a much darker red liquid. I looked back up at the stranger, my eyes wide and my pulse racing. I exhaled deeply and stared at him.

"Are you...?"

Before I could finish my sentence, the door banged open and I stuffed my necklace in my shirt before turning towards the person. It was Sasuke, and he didn't look happy.

"What are you doing up here by yourself" he said angrily.

By myself? I turned towards the stranger and realized he was gone! Where had we gone so quickly?! I hadn't even heard him move!

"Um...." I began, trying to think of an excuse.

"Come on loser" he said, gesturing towards the door "let's go."

Sadly, I stood up and walked over to Sasuke as he held open the door for me. As we slowly descended down the staircase, Sasuke glanced over at me and sighed.

"You ok" he asked simply.

I turned towards him, surprised he had asked such a thing. Usually when I was depressed or sad, he could care less how I was feeling, but now it seemed he actually cared.

"I'm just....confused."

"About?"

"Life."

He turned and looked at me for a minute then stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked away.

"Who isn't" he muttered to himself.

I glanced at him for a second, and we contiuned descending down the staircase in silence. Sometimes having these small talks with Sasuke is so comforting. Even when I tell him something and his only response is 'hn' it just feels good to know he was listening.

"You're not the only one that's been in pain before Ruka" Sasuke said breaking the silence "I understand how you feel, I haven't been bullied or teased all my life, but....I know what pain feels like."