45. Because I'm not scared of you

'A hero is someone who understand the responsibility that comes with his freedom'

-Bob Dylan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Chūnin exams" I asked curiously as Kakashi Sensei handed us all an application form.

"Yes" he said simply "this exam, if you pass it, will take you from a Genin to a Chūnin."

"Really?!" Naruto said tackling Kakashi Sensei into a hug "this is amazing! Believe it!"

Kakashi Sensei struggled to remove Naruto from him and after a while he finally let go.

"I feel you're all ready for it" Kakashi Sensei said simply "you proved your worth in the land of waves."

"We did" Sakura said biting her lip "how?"

Kakashi Sensei thought for a moment then snapped his fingers; as though he had discovered the answer.

"Well" he began "Naruto showed his determination, Sasuke showed his strength, you showed your confidence, and Ruka showed her bravery. I think if you combine all of those things together you have one perfect team."

Sakura bit her lip, thinking about this as Naruto and Sasuke both nodded in agreement. My bravery....does he mean that I wasn't afraid to die? I think so.

"So" Kakashi Sensei said simply "once you've decided, bring your applications to the building I mentioned and you're set to go. Later."

With that he disappeared in a cloud of smoke, not giving us a chance to ask any questions which I had many of.
"The Chūnin exams!" Naruto exclaimed,  bubbling with joy "I can't wait! Believe it!"

Sasuke smirked but Sakura nervously bit her lip. I could tell she was hesitant in joining the exams, if so, I had to agree that I was on her side. I don't know if I'm strong enough for this. Bravery won't help me out.

"What about you Ruka?!" Naruto said smiling widely "are you ready?!"

"No" I said truthfully as his smile disappeared "I'm not, I don't think I'll join."

"B-But...." Naruto said in disbelief.

"Me either" Sakura said blushing "I'm not sure about this."

"GUYS!"

Before I could reply, I saw a shadow cross over me and I looked up to see a flash of red hair disappear on the rooftops. Is that....

"RUKA?!" Naruto yelled, snapping my attention back to him "ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?!"

I blushed shamefully and didn't reply. Sasuke sighed deeply shook his head as he walked off and Sakura said a hasty goodbye before following him.

"I'm sorry Naruto" I said sadly.

Naruto smiled and came closer to me as he hugged me tightly.

"It's ok" he whispered in my ear "just think about it, for me."

I blushed deep red and with that he let go of me and walked off. Naruto....I rubbed my cheeks to wipe the blush from them then looked back up at the rooftops. Deciding against my reluctance, I jumped on top of the rooftops, looking for Gaara. I didn't have to look far......seeing as he was right in front of me.

"Oh!" I said, my cheeks flushing red "uh....I.....mm!"

"I was waiting for you."

He's so direct with everything he says. It's like he doesn't care if what he says is embarrassing or not.

"F-F-For m-me?!" I said surprised, my blush increasing.

"That's what I said."

I remained silent at that remark and simply nodded. He was waiting....for me? What for; what could he possibly want with me? Gaara studied me for a while then began circling around me, like a lion does a gazelle before it pounces. What is he doing? I watched as he contiuned to study me, taking in every aspect.

"Tell me" he said slowly "you knew I was up here because you saw me. So why would you come here by yourself, while you're most vulnerable?"

He stopped circling me and just stared at me, his sea foam green eyes boring into my golden ones. As though he was trying to unlock every secret I held.

"Because I'm not scared of you like everyone else is" I said simply, my voice more confident then I thought it would be.

He stared at me with no emotion on his face, but I could see in his eyes that I had challenged him, and he had accepted the challenge.

"RUKA!" A small but loud voice said "R-RUKA!"

I looked over the rooftop and saw Hinata walking around the village with a frown as she called my name loudly. I made to jump off of the rooftop, but Gaara grabbed my arm and stopped me. He leaned closer to me, my heart accelerating and my cheeks flushing pink.
"I don't know what kind of game you think we're playing" he said with a smirk "but I definitely won't be letting you go."

I blushed a deep red and he let go of my arm before disappearing. I'm not letting you go; what does that mean? I feel like that sentence had double meaning to it! Mulling over his words in my mind, I jumped down from the rooftops next to Hinata.

"Oh!" Hinata said surprised with a sigh of relief "there you are!"

"I heard you calling me" I said, my cheeks still red "what's wrong?"

"I wanted to talk to you about the Chūnin exams" Hinata said smiling "but first....what's with the blushing?"

I bit my lip and didn't respond as Hinata giggled in a teasing voice.

"Was it a boooooooyyyyy?!"

"Hinata" I said pleadingly as my blush came back.

Hinata giggled at my dilemma and once she stopped I told her about it. Hinata was a very good friend, I haven't talked to her lately but I know she likes Naruto....a lot. So I try to forget about him....try.

"Gaara you said" Hinata repeated after I was finished "oh! My Sensei mentioned him. Apparently, he came all the way from the Sand village to participate in the Chūnin exam with his brother and sister"

The Sand village, huh? I bit my lip again as I thought about Gaara. I just can't get over it! What did he mean!

"Gaara" I muttered to myself "I'm going to figure you out somehow."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed chapter. 45! I just really liked that part with Gaara and Ruka! I'm sorry I had to say it! If your a ship of Naruto and Ruka, I'm sorry but Gaara and Ruka just seem so cute

Naruto: No way! Believe it! Ruka would look better as my girlfriend!

Me: Um...

Gaara: Yeah right! How could she even think to compare my sexy-ness with you?

Me: Oh...?

Sasuke: Hn. Losers, she obviously loves me more than you two freaks.

Me: Ok...?

Naruto: As if! You want me to spell out my name for you?!

Gaara: Sure?

Naruto: S-E-X-Y!

Sasuke: Bullshit!

Me: OK, I'M DONE!

Ruka: Story_of_Fate13 doesn't own Naruto

Me: Later guys!