86. Our last kiss

'Saying goodbye is the most painful way of solving a problem'

-Anonymous
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Four days later, October 10th~
~Naruto's POV~

"Saying goodbye will just make it harder on yourself" Jirayia said simply "it's best if we leave now."

My hands clenched tightly into fist and I glared at him, anger and sorrow radiating around me.

"I want to say goodbye to her" I said firmly "I owe her that much! I just can't leave her with no warning!"

Jirayia exhaled deeply but nodded his head in understanding before turning away. Today's my birthday yet....I've never been more miserable in my life.

~Ruka's POV~

A ray of sunlight penetrated the window and rested upon my closed eyelids as I groaned uncomfortably, and turned over in bed. I heard my bedroom door creak open and heard feet walk over to my bed as someone poked my arm.

"Mommy" the voice said "where's daddy?"

My eyes snapped open at those words and I sat up in bed as I turned towards Naoki.

"What" I asked softly.

"Daddy's not in his room" Naoki said as tears clouded her eyes "and everyone else can't find him."

Fear pricked at my heart slowly and I got out of bed as I frowned.
N-No one can find him; is he okay?! I turned towards my dresser and saw a note attached to it, so I picked it up and slowly began to read it to myself.

Dear Ruka,
Don't worry if you can't find me. I went out. Can you meet me by the swings tonight at around 7:30. Can you come alone please? I have something to tell you.
-Naruto

Naruto....why do I feel like he seemed unhappy when he wrote this note?

My hands shook slightly as I shoved the note in my pocket, but I exhaled deeply and smiled at Naoki.

"Don't worry" I said ruffling her hair "daddy's fine. He just wanted to walk around town, so he could be alone today. I'm sure he'll be back later on tonight at around 8:00."

Naoki nodded and exhaled in relief as she left my room. Once she was gone, I opened up the dresser next to my bed and pulled out the gift I had wrapped up for Naruto.

Today is his birthday.

He told me that he didn't want a gift, but after a lot of thought and consideration I got him this one anyway. I just really hope he likes it. I clutched the gift close to my chest as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. That note made me uneasy; just looking at it made me think about what kind of emotions he could be in right now.

Is he angry, did I do something to make him mad?

Is he sad, did something bad happen?

I forced myself to push these negative thoughts away from my mind and relax. I'm sure it's nothing serious; maybe he just wants to spend time with me on his birthday.

Also, today I'll tell him I love him!

I haven't said those words to him since the time I very first confessed, I'm sure he'll be happy to hear them again.I nodded firmly and went into the bathroom as I did my usual routine.

~Naruto's POV~

"C-Can't we take her with us?" I pleaded turning towards Jirayia.