Imagine 62: Clint

A/N: dedicated to @iHaroldStyles sorry its late sweetie xx

I closed my books and stuffed them in my bag, pushing by the slow-poke students. Nobody was in a rush, just like every other day, but I was; also like every other day. I had to get to work, which just so happened to be an hour after I got out of school.

Joy.

So, every day, I had to rush home from college and quickly change, speeding off to work with normally a few minutes to spare. 

Today was exactly the same. I sprinted out of the taxi and to my apartment, tripping a few times as per usual. Quickly, I changed and grabbed some work files, sprinting back outside to hail another taxi. 

"Hi, Stark Towers please." I breathed, setting my books next to me. The driver laughed and shook his head slightly, driving off nonetheless. 

After the short drive, I paid the driver and bounced out of seat, speeding inside the tall building. Like every day, the short-haired secretary had to stop me and check for security card, day after day. 

With a sigh, I pulled the card from my back pocket and held it up as I walked past, rolling my eyes subtly. 

As always, the elevator ride was awkward and long, but I really couldn't complain. Working at Stark Towers was pure luck, and practically a blessing considering my paycheck. 

I never had to deal with the sarcastic asshole of a boss, so that was a plus. Although, that wouldn't last.

As I typed away on my computer and continued writing reports when a knock came from my door. I looked up and pushed some papers a side, my eyes widening as the one and only Tony Stark walked in my small office. 

"Miss. Y/L/N, pleasure to meet you." He smiled coyly, shaking my hand. Nervously, I shook his hand back and offered a small smile. 

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Stark. How can I help you?"

He chuckled and led me outside of my shabby office, walking inside the elevator. I furrowed my eyebrows and stood awkwardly next to him in silence.

"I've seen your work ethic, and I have to say, its one of the best I've seen in a while, besides mine." Tony laughed. I laughed quietly, blushing.

"Thank you, that means a lot."

"So I'm upgrading your position. Welcome to the penthouse." He grinned widely, opening his arms with pride. 

I laughed with disbelief and fought the urge to hug him and passing employees. Instead I just thanked Tony and allowed him to show me to my new office, sitting down with pure joy. 

Over the next few hours I got accustomed to my new job and thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

"Miss?" Someone spoke, tapping their fingers on my desk. I looked up and smiled at the handsome man, clicking my pen.

"Hi, name and business?"

"Clint Barton, I'm a friend of Tony's."

"Aren't we all?" I muttered to myself, writing Clint's information down. "Just take a seat, he'll be out shortly."

"It's urgent." He pressed. I sighed and looked at the room full of business men and women. 

"Is somebody hurt?" I asked, meeting Clint's eyes. 

Clint sighed, worry in his eyes. "Uh... well, someone might get hurt, I... can you just get him?"

I widened my eyes and sighed, grabbing the phone that sat on my desk. "Mr. Stark, there's a Mr. Clint Barton that has an urgent matter. He says someone might get hurt and is pressing for you."

Tony sighed through the phone, my eyes rolling softly. "I'll be out in a minute."

I hung up the phone and looked to Clint, holding back my smile. "He'll be out in a minute." I repeated, simply turning back to my work. 

As promised, Tony was out very quickly, rushing up to Clint who stood in front of my desk. They muttered some things to one another, only a few tid-bits coming to my attention. 

When they were finished, they both looked to me with wide eyes. 

"What?" I asked incredulously, furrowing my eyebrows. 

"Your parents worked for SHIELD." Tony smirked, pointing a knowing finger at me. I rolled my eyes and dropped the pen I was previously holding. 

"Only my mom did, actually. Is this a problem?" 

Tony laughed and walked closer to my desk, leaning on both his palms.

"No problem here, sweet cheeks."

"Is the problem between you two fixed?" I muttered, clicking my pen open and filling out paperwork. 

"There was no problem, actually. I just had to inform Tony about your pare- well, mom." 

"I knew her, and we didn't know she had a daughter." Tony continued.

I huffed angrily and scribbled down my signature, moving on to the next paper. "We liked our privacy." I hissed.

"We were actually good friends with her. That's why we've been working on her murder case all these years, in secret." Clint added, walking next to Tony. 

I slammed my pen down and pushed my seat back, standing angrily. "I get it, ok?! Stop talking about it." 

I pushed past the two men and stomped into the elevator, closing the door before either Tony or Clint could join me. I wiped away my tears as the doors opened on the lower floor, Clint walking in. 

I looked away and bit my lip, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry. We thought you'd like to know."

"Well, you were wrong." I growled, tapping my foot. We reached the next floor, where I tried to exit; but Clint's grip held me back. 

"I'm sorry. Tony has a big mouth and can't keep it shut."

I sighed and pushed him away, a few tears dripping down my cheeks. While I wiped them away, I couldn't help but blush as Clint and I met eyes. 

"Can I make it up to you?" He whispered, taking my hands in his.

I bit my lip and slowly nodded. 

"Do you want to go to dinner, or lunch, I don't know if yo-"

"I'd love to, Mr. Barton." I smiled sadly, wiping away the last of my tears. Clint smiled and let go of my hands, hugging me before I exited the elevator. 

Only when I was back on the ninetieth floor did I realize Clint didn't have my number.