Imagine 64: Steve

Dedicated to @BaquetteBarnes

It was early in the morning, which just so happened to be my favorite time of the day. I got to be alone in my bakery and prepare for the day. My little routine was anticipated each night, along with the feint smell of apple pie and cinnamon. Y/L/N's Bakery had been around since 1932, opened by my grandfather. He passed away at the age of 83, and by then, I was old enough to own the Bakery on my own; so, I did.

Now, every day at four o'clock, I wake up and come set up the bakery. Business isn't huge, but its enough that I can make a living, and then some. Of course, I have my regulars, some old friends of my grandfathers, and some new friends of my own.

By six o'clock, the place is up and running for breakfast, the usual coffee and pastry orders seamlessly prepared by yours truly.

"Up and at 'em early, huh?" A familiar voice chided from the front of the bakery. I turned around with a smile, brushing my hair over my shoulder.

"As always." I chuckled, extending the coffee I was holding to an old family friend.

He took it slowly, his old age prolonging the way he moved. Nonetheless, his personality hadn't changed a bit. The coffee was taken from my hand, a warm smile flashed before he moved to his usual seat near the window.

Effortlessly, I prepared some more pastries and warmed up some more coffee. More and more customers arrived, a few new faces. Finally, the rush began to slow down, the morning dwellers just about all gone.

"Excuse me?" An unfamiliar voice asked softly, quickly drawing my attention. A blush filled my cheeks, surely noticeable. This new customer was notably handsome, and I couldn't deny that.

A smile made its way onto my features, a strand of loose hair falling in front of my eyes. I brushed it away, setting the few pastries I was working on to the side.

"Hi, how are you?" I grinned, somewhat taken aback by the smile I was presented with. In short, it was perfect.

The blonde looked around my shop, smiling softly. "I remember this place."

I furrowed my eyebrows, slightly confused. "What do you mean?"

He chuckled nervously, his blue eyes meeting mine. "Im Steve Rogers... Captain America? This place was here when I was, well, younger?"

Steve scratched behind his head, obviously a gesture of awkwardness. I simply smiled and laughed, already familiar with who this man was.

"Well, it was owned by my grandfather before me. He passed away a few years ago, and now I own it." I shrugged a little, blushing once more.

"Do you still have apple pie?" Steve smiled shyly, resting his hands in his pockets.

I laughed and almost scoffed a little in disbelief. "Of course we do."

Steve smiled warmly, nodding to himself. "I'll have a slice of that, then... and an iced coffee."

I nodded and prepared the coffee, grabbing one of the freshest pieces of pie there was. Steve began searching through his wallet, but I held my hand up, stopping him in the process.

"It's on me... my grandfather talked about you, now that I remember. You came in almost everyday and got a piece of pie." I smiled softly, setting the pie and coffee in front of him. "So this is from him."

Steve grinned gently, grabbing his coffee in one hand, the apple pie in the other. "I appreciate it.." He paused a moment to look at my name tag. "I appreciate it, Y/N. I'll have to make it routine again..."

I chuckled and wiped crumbs off of the counter, my eyes nervously meeting his. "What makes you say that?"

Steve smiled softly, backing up toward the door as he spoke. "Well, you're certainly more beautiful than your grandfather was."

I giggled, blushing and sending a shy wave to Steve. "I'll expect to see you tomorrow, then."

Steve nodded as if this was obvious. "You will."

With one last charming smile, he backed out of the bakery, making my day ten times better than it had been before. If I hadn't already been excited for work every morning, this certainly did the trick.