Imagine 63: Howard Stark

A/N: i wouldn't say this chapter is personal, but i can relate because through this chapter i lightly touch on how women in the past (although it still happens today) were pushed back from society and told to be housewives. i am a proud feminist and i believe women are just as equal as men. xx enjoy

--

Working weekends at some shabby diner down my street didn't pay much, but it was better than nothin'. I always wondered what the good life was like, but it just didn't seem to suit me. All that money and fame seemed like fun, but I knew better; I knew that washing these rickety old tables would do me better in life. Or, at least, I hoped. 

Of course, it wasn't what I wanted. What I wanted was to go to school and learn science. I wanted to create things and change the World, but my mother always told me I couldn't be a scientist. Even if I had the money to go to college, I wouldn't get a decent job. Hell, I wouldn't even get a half-decent job. 

So for now, serving people shitty coffee would just have to do. 

"Hey darlin', can't I get another coffee over here?"

I sighed and turned around, rolling my eyes at the scruffy man alone in a booth. 

"Just a minute, sir." I called out, walking in the back of the kitchen to refill the coffee pitcher.

"Hey, sweetheart, after you serve him you can leave." One of the head chefs smiled, nodding his head at my questioning expression.

I smiled thankfully and sighed, pouring one last cup of coffee.

"Have a good night, sir." I smiled, setting the coffee pitcher on the front counter. I bid my co-workers goodbye, tugging on my trench coat before starting the trek home. 

With my luck, snow was already falling on the ground, my eyes watering due to the brisk air. I shivered and crossed the streets, trying to catch a snowflake with my tongue. 

Life wasn't so bad for me, even if some of it sucked. But the walk home from work everyday was priceless; in the Winter, especially. All of the skyscrapers were lit up, eliminating the cold sky, the snow barely visible in the distance. 

In such an ugly life, the World seemed beautiful from the outside. 

"Miss, would you like a ride home?" An accented voice called out. I turned around, furrowing my eyes at a very expensive-looking limousine. 

I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled my jacket tighter against my body. "Uhm..." I murmured, walking a little closer to the car. 

The left door opened, a familiar figure stepped out. "It's really cold, doll, you shouldn't be out."

I huffed and smirked at the famous playboy, Howard Stark. A scoff came out of my lips, quietly, but I still managed a smile. 

"I can take of myself, but thanks for the offer." I nodded my head to the side and shrugged slightly. 

Howard smiled to the side and squinted his eyes, as if in thought. "Do I know you?" He finally spoke up, pointing a finger at me. 

"Well, we haven't a one night stand, if that's what you're askin'." 

Howard laughed and shut the car door, stepping toward me. I crossed my arms and tapped my foot. 

"I'm gettin' cold, Mr. Stark." I chided.

"I believe I offered you a ride, darlin'." He smirked, holding his arms out and letting them drop to his sides. 

"And I believe I declined." 

Howard laughed deeply, throwing a hand to his chest. "I like you."

I smirked and turned around, continuing my way home. "You like 'em all, Mr. Stark!" I called out, a smile playing on my lips. 

"I remember where I've seen you!" He called back. I continued to walk, stuffing my now-numb hands in my trench-coat pockets. 

"At my Expo, you asked if you could get a job! I was an ass, and I said no." Howard pressed on, finally catching my attention. I stopped in my tracks, staring at the snow falling on my boots. 

My head turned slightly, resting on my own shoulder. 

"I'm sorry." 

Now, I turned around fully, a genuine smile gracing my features. "Thank you, Howard." I paused a moment, my cold breath visible, even in the dark. 

"Still don't want that ride?" He smiled.

I sighed and placed a hand on my hip, shivering slightly. "Maybe I will."

Howard smiled and, once I reached him, offered me his hand. I accepted, my cold fingers lightly resting on his. He helped me into the car and sat himself next to me. I told the driver where I lived and allowed myself to rest in the luxury; I wouldn't get another chance, most likely. 

"You look cold, doll." Howard commented, tracing a small circle on my palm.

"I am." I laughed softly, biting my chapped lip. Howard pulled me close to him, my eyes fluttering closed as his body warmth radiated onto me. I hummed happily and let my head rest on his shoulder, which Howard didn't seem to mind. 

It didn't take long for the limo to reach my shabby apartment; I only lived a few blocks from the diner. I smiled to Howard and thanked the driver, stepping out onto the snow-covered pavement. 

"About that job, miss. I'd be thrilled to hire you."

I smiled at my feet and brushed my hair from my eyes, snowflakes dusting my scalp. 

"I'd be thrilled to accept." I chuckled, stepping backwards a few paces. "My name is Y/N, by the way."

"You know who I am." 

With my back now turned to Howard, I unlocked my door and stepped inside slightly, a laugh echoing the dead city streets. "I do."

With a shared smile from the both of us, I shut my door and snuggled under the blankets, making a mental note to call Stark Industries tomorrow morning.