Chapter Sixty-Four: Midge's POV

Midge's POV
"Midge, wake up," I sat up quickly and smacked foreheads with Dhani. He groaned and held his hand on his head. I did the same and looked at him.
"Sorry, what's going on?" I asked rubbing my eyes. Dhani sat on the side of my bed and blinked several times. I moved his bangs off his forehead and looked at the red make I'd left. I scrunched my nose at him.
"I need you to go meet Serena at the showers." He said through the pain he was feeling in his forehead. "She doesn't know her way around and I have to go talk to Hawk before we can get a meeting with him." I nodded and grabbed some clothes from my dresser.
"Okay," I said as Dhani got up from my bed. "but you owe me." I sang teasingly. He laughed and pecked my cheek.
"I already owe you a lot, Midge." He said as he left me alone. I changed into a pair of tight jeans and a black tank top before I pulled up my hair. I glanced in the mirror before I left my room; I had completely forgotten I was a redhead now. I closed the door behind me and found myself in an empty hallway. It struck me as odd because usually it was full of people getting up and heading to their posts by this hour.
I walked to the shower area and went inside. There was only one shower running and I hoped it was Serena. I didn't see her waiting outside for me, so I was sure it was. I called out to her just to be sure: "Is that you, Rena?"
"Oh, yeah just give me another minute." She said back. I nodded and went back outside to wait for her. As I leaned against the wall, I closed my eyes and started to think about the dream I had been having. I couldn't remember most of it, but what I did remember was that Dhani was in it.
I feel so special.
I looked around, wondering is anyone else passing by heard that. It was Dhani's voice, but he wasn't anywhere around.
Dhani? I was hopeful. I hadn't been able to use the telepathy link between us in weeks.
You thought it was gone! But it came back when you gave me a smooch the other night. I felt my cheeks get warm as Serena came out of the bathroom ruffling her hair. She raised her eyebrows at me and I cleared my throat.
"Something wrong?" She asked slowly. I shook my head and gestured for her to walk down the hall. We headed toward where she, with the rest of the group, slept all night. We were quiet for a time, but soon Serena had to talk. "Can I ask you something?" I looked over at her and shrugged.
"I guess."
"How come you hated me before?" She seemed seriously bothered by it, but I honestly didn't have much of a reason. When we were at Louise's place, I'd been at Bellamy's so long, and I knew things no one else was going to understand. I knew about Stryker, and I knew about everything he'd been doing.
"I don't know." I said seriously, "It was mostly that you were acting like you were ready to marry him or something and I knew he was bad, but I couldn't tell anyone without letting him know I knew." She thought about this for a while and then she asked a new question.
"What is the story behind you and Stryker?" She asked, reaching up and starting to French braid her hair.
"What are you, some kind of reporter?" I asked laughing.
"I'm just curious." She said laughing back. I sighed and shoved my hands in my the pocket of my jeans as we turned a corner.
"Okay," I blew some air out of my cheeks, "so I met Daniel when I was training to be an agent. We had a lot in common. He was the kid of two agents, and he had similar powers. We got along and he was someone I could train with without worrying about hurting him. He was like a brother to me and I didn't have a lot of people that I was close to."
"Makes sense," Serena said nodding as she tied a ribbon around the end of her hair, "so you, Dhani, and Stryker were all friends?" I made a face and shook my head.
"No, I am friends with Dhani, and I was friends with Stryker. Dhani wasn't friends with Stryker at all. He's friends with Ollie. I was just the person that tied the group together." I shrugged and Serena shrugged back.
"You said you had similar powers?" She asked. I laughed and rolled my eyes at her.
"I had Augmentation, Mediumism, and Animation along side the normal Telekinesis and Medical." I said counting them off. Serena's jaw dropped and I laughed, "What can I say? I'm the kid of two AAL agents! My mom had Augmentation, and my dad had Mediumism. The Animation was one I developed all on my own."
"I didn't know someone could have that many powers. I can barely handle the ones I have!" Serena shook her head and I laughed.
"Well I don't even have those anymore." I said sadly. I missed my powers very much. "All I have is the telekinesis and I don't even have much of it." Serena didn't say anything after that and we made it into the room they were all staying in.
George and John were talking on a bed in the middle of the room, while Lilly slept on a bed by the wall. Neal was nowhere to be seen and I was sure Dhani was still talking to Hawk.
Serena went over to George and she leaned over his shoulder. I shut the door behind me and John gestured for me to come over to him. I sat on the opposite end of the bed and they all looked at me.
"What?" I asked slowly.
"Any news on Val?" He looked nervous. He'd been surprisingly calm about the whole situation. I shook my head lightly and he let out a long breath.
"I'm sorry John. Dhani is trying his best." I said, trying to get him to understand, "He's only one person. He's got to convince Agent Hawk to take the case and then he's got to get other agents on board." John shook his head. He seemed to become frustrated.
"That could take days, Midge!" He growled. I shook my head and put my hand on his shoulder.
"No, Dhani will go in to meet with Hawk and as soon as Bellamy's name is said, it's done. If Dhani goes on and mentions that it's a AAL kid that's missing, someone will be out there on the case in an hour. Maybe not even that long. They'll find Valeri. I swear." I said sincerely. I had faith in this agency.
"Dhani couldn't promise that." He said, glaring at me, "Why can you?" I honestly didn't have an answer for him. Dhani was truthful. He didn't want to tell someone he could do something without knowing for sure.
"I know this place." I said simply, "I know what they can do and if they value anything, it's the lives of the AAL and the kids that come from them. They won't drop this, especially since Bellamy is involved." John nodded and his attention was suddenly on Lilly. She was sitting up looking tired and still very worried. No one had a chance to say anything to her.
A knock on the door distracted us. I got up and opened it slowly. It was Agent Oliver. I smiled and he nodded.
"Agent." I said firmly. He shoved his hands in his pockets casually and I rolled my eyes at him.
"Dhani said to come gettcha." He said. I wondered sometimes if he tried to sound unofficial. "You, and the rest of the group he brought in last night." I nodded and turned around.
"Come 'head you lot." I said nodding toward Ollie. "Our presence is requested by the man." Serena chuckled and walked toward me.
Who's 'the man'?
Shhhhh
George followed Serena and John and Lilly slowly followed him. Ollie led the way to the head office where Dhani would be waiting to talk to Agent Hawk. Along the way we ran into Neal and he joined us, even though he wasn't really an asset to the situation. I knew he probably wanted to help anyway.
I was the last one in the room, and an overwhelming feeling of dread came over me. This meeting had the potential to go very wrong.