Chapter Three

There were 101 thoughts going in my mind about Aunty Kulsum paying us this sudden visit. Normally I was informed before she or anyone from her family arrived. I was brought out of my thoughts when Aunty Kulsum pulled me in for hug.

'Mahdiya Dear, how are you?'
'Alhamdulliah and you? I replied.

'Aaah all's been good lately Alhamdulliah' she smiled at me and I returned the gesture.

'You must be tired, why don't you go freshen up and join us for lunch dear? I nodded and went to my room. After freshening up and reading my Salaah I made my way to the dining room.

I was taken in for a surprise when I entered the dining room. Sitting in front of me was Rameez's family and my whole family. I was surprised because I thought it was just Aunty Kulsum here. Sitting in front of me were 8 happy faces and one bored face. Doesn't take rocket science to figure out who's face that belonged to.

'As-salāmu 'alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.' I greeted and the room echoed with everyone's reply. I took a seat next to Attiya my 21 year old sister. On the other side of her my 25 year old brother Yusuf sat. Yusuf was married to Mumtaz who now was on holiday by her mother with their little adorable twins. Rameez was seated opposite me. Next to him was his brother Imraan and besides him was their sister salma.Our parents were seated on each end of the table.

'Where's Dadi?' 'Oh Dadi wasn't feeling well so she stayed back with her sister.' Salma replied.

Salma was two years younger than me but we both clicked from the very beginning.

We were half way through lunch but nothing was mentioned about the Ebrahim's sudden visit.

I caught Imraan and Attiya stealing glances all through lunch.When she caught my eye, I gave her a smug smile and she looked away blushing.

Unlike Rameez and I ...Imraan and Attiya were heads in love. The parents knew about this and wanted to make it halaal as soon as possible.So they had a small engagement ceremony before our nikaah and were suppose to get married two weeks after but then Dadi's sickness got the better of her and their wedding was postponed and Rameez and I got married instead.

I felt then sorry as now they have to wait till Rameez and I have our walima then they can proceed with their wedding.

Life indeed is strange! From all I learned that no matter how we plan, Allah is the best of planners.

After lunch, mum brought out the dessert. While eating the desert, I mentioned about our trip to New York and my parents were ever happy to send me because Rameez will be going with as well.

'If Rameez was not going, you could have forgotten about this trip Mahdiya.' My lovely mother mentioned.

'I'm so glad you both going on this trip. It would give you guys a chance to understand each other and maybe return heads in love.' Exclaimed Aunty Kulsum. I choked on my dessert causing me to go redder if that was possible.

'Uuh, excuse me! I need to use the bathroom' I stood up, but was stopped by fathers voice.

'My dear , wait a minute. Uncle Moosa and Aunty Kulsum have something important to discuss with you.

I nodded and took my seat. I took a glimpse at Rameez. He was talking to Yusuf and suddenly burst out in laughter causing me to smile. I quickly realized what I was doing and turned my attention to Aunty Kulsum.

Aunty Kulsum took my hands in hers and Uncle Moosa cleared his throat.'Rameez and Mahdiya. We all know under what conditions you two got married and we respect your conditions but with the sudden turn of events I'm afraid there had to be little change in plans.'

I gulped and waited for him to carry on. 'As we all know, there was hope for Dadi and the treatment was working on her but this few days back her health suddenly took a drastic turn and doctors have given up hope.

'But this morning Rameez said she was doing well?' I interrupted.

We hid this from everyone, we thought it would just break everyone's heart's. So that's the reason, we didn't allow any of you to meet her. We kept giving excuses such as she's sleeping. But now the situation had gone beyond our hand.' He looked at me and carried on.

'She has very little time and the only thing that has been in her mind lately is you. She wants you to move in with us.

'And the reason we here today, is to fetch you.' Aunty Kulsum said.