Chapter Twenty

Sometimes breaking the bad news to someone dear is more heartbreaking than the news itself

I loved Daadi a lot...perhaps even more than my own Daadi. It was only because of her Rameez and I were together...

'Mahdiya. ..what the hell are you saying?'

I blinked back my tears and looked up at a irritated Rameez.

'Who's gone and where?' Rameez asked me frustratingly.

At this pointed I began crying.

'Can you stop crying????' He asked me slightly embarrassed as everyone looked in our direction.

'Rameez...where's your phone?' I asked him.

'I don't know...it must be somewhere around.' He began looking in his bag and pulled out his phone.'200 miss calls? Is everything fine?'

I shook my head. 'She left us Meez.'

'Mads! You testing my patience now! Who the Hell left us?' Rameez asked me through gritted teeth.

I open my mouth but suddenly no words were coming out. I tried again but this time before the words could come out of my mouth I ran out of the gym with Rameez following me.

'Mahdiya!' Rameez grabbed my hand pulled me in towards an empty classroom. 'Stop crying and speak.'

'Daadi..'

'What happen to her? Is Daadi fine?' When I didn't answer Rameez grabbed me by my shoulder. 'Answer me.'

I finally mustered the courage to utter those words I knew that was going to break him. 'Daadi passed away Meez.'

Rameez looked at me with shock written all over his face. 'This is a sick joke.'

'I'm not joking Rameez.'

'You lying! I don't believe you.'

'Don't ...let's phone back home and see.'

I pulled out my phone and dialled Attiya's number and put it loudspeaker.

After a few rings Attiya answered my phone call . 'As Salaam Wa'alaikum! Mads...how are you?'

'Alhamdullilah...'

'Where are you'll? There's no time for the mayyit,you know!'

As Attiya Said those words I looked up at Rameez who seemed taken aback.

After a minute of silence...Rameez spoke.

'Who's mayyit?'

'Mads! You didn't tell him?'

I looked at Rameez as I answered Arts. 'Atts! I did but he doesn't believe me.'

In the background we could hear Imraan calming his mother down.

'I'm sorry Rameez! Daadi left us.' A teary Attiya replied.

Reality hit Rameez as he heard those words. He fell down on the ground holding his head and I quickly cut the call with Atts.

'Rameez!'

At this point Rameez was in tears.
I sat down next to him on the floor and tried comforting him.

'She can't leave me. She promised that she won't leave me.'

'Meez! Life and death is both in Allah's hand. We have to trust him.'

When Rameez didn't say anything I went on. 'Daadi suffered a lot in this world. Doctors couldn't find any cure for her sickness. Maybe returning to her Lord was the cure...'