Chapter Forty Nine

After all the drama I felt Salma created for no reason I decided it was best if I went to live with my parents for a while. I was mad at Salma and I was afraid that I might say things I never meant. Rameez did phone again after that but Salma cut the call. When I tried phoning him, his phone was switched of.

After supper ma gave me permission and I phoned Yusuf ,who was more than happy to come and fetch me. Note the sarcasm.

As I waited for Yusuf I saw Salma make her way towards me. I was in no mood to face her...

'Mahdiya?' She whispered as she stood in front of me

'Jee?' I answered, trying to show that I was not interested in starting a conversation now.

'You going because of me? She asked.

'Why would I do that? This is my house as well,right?' I asked while raising my eyebrows and immediately felt bad as I saw the look in her eyes. 'I'm sor...'

'No Mahdiya, don't be. I'm sorry I shouldn't have said all that about Rameez. I just don't want him to hurt you again.' She said with tears in her eyes.

'Oh Salma.' I replied as I hugged her. I felt bad treating her like that. All she done was to look out for me. 'I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated and I miss him a lot...'

'I miss him to Mahdiya and I don't want him to go astray again.'

'He won't Salma.' I said as I pulled back and wiped her tears. 'Meez really did change and I trust him. He will never hurt me. He promised me.'

'In Sha Allah Mahdiya.' She replied softly with a small smile.

'Ameen.'

'So we cool?' She asked me with a smile and I nodded.

'So don't go?' She asked with puppy eyes.

'I have to go Salma. I haven't seen my parents in ages and maybe going there will just lighten stuff up for me.' I replied with a smile.

Before she could reply we heard Yusuf's hooter. I quicky made salaam and left for home. It felt good going there after ages.

'As Salaam Alaikum Yusuf.' I greeted as I got in the car.

'Wa'alaikum Salaam.' He mumbled.

'What's up?' I asked him as he drove out of the driveway.

'You can drive?' He asked me, slightly irritated.

'uhh...yeah.why?'

'And I believe Rameez left his car here for you to drive?'

'Yeah...so?'

'Then why am I here to pick you up? Couldn't you drive home?

'And then for what reason do I have a brother for?' I asked him as I raised my eyebrows.

'Not Funny Mahdiya.' He replied as he stared ahead of him.

'What's wrong?' I asked him. 'Had a fight with Mumtaz?'

Yusuf just shook his head and carried on driving. Bad day at work I guess...

As soon as we reached home I jumped out and ran in to greet my mother. I missed her way to much.

'As Salaam Alaikum Mahdiya. How are you?' My mother asked as she hugged me.

'Wa'alaikum Salaam.Alhamdullilah and you?'

'Can't complain shukr.' She said as she pulled me towards the tea table.

I missed this. After supper we all would sit for tea and talk about life. We often missed having supper together but missing tea meant problems.