Chapter Thirty Three

'Maseeha...let me stay here please! We have so much work to do!' I begged Maseeha as she started packing my bag.

She stopped throwing stuff in my bag and looked up at me and said 'shut up and you coming!'

'But Rameez...'

'I don't care what your husband thinks..okay? Soon you gonna go live with him and no more sleepovers...everything's gonna change...' She said as tears began to form in her eyes.

'Awwww Mas!' I said as I pulled her in for a hug. 'I will never forgot you dear! We always have sleepovers now and then,right?'

'I wish...' She whispered and I pulled away in shock.

'What am I missing?' I asked while raising my eyebrow.

'Nothing!' She said as walked over to my closet.

Then why do I see sadness visible in her eyes?

I walked over to her and pulled my dress away from her and threw it on the bed.

'Your eyes say something else...Mas what's wrong?' I asked her again

When she didn't answer me and looked down at the ground I asked her 'is about Rameez?' Silently dreading the answer...

Maseeha's head shot up as she said'No!why? What??? Why would you think so?'

'So then what is it?' I asked her as I sat down on my bed and indicated her to join me.

Tears began forming in her eyes again as she took a seat next to me. I pulled her in for a hug as I tried comforting her.

'Uza..uzai...' She stuttered.

'Uzair what?' I asked her.

'Uzair had cancer Mahdiya! His leaving me...he can't go Mads, he can't!!!' She said in one breath, sending me a shock.

My arms dropped to my side as she pulled back. As I took in what she said tears began to call down my cheeks. 'You joking,right?' I managed to ask her after a while.

She nodded her head as she wiped her tears away. 'His a fighter Mads! I know his gonna fight this. We going to fight this Mads! I'm taking him back home. I spoke to a few doctors who promised to help me!' She said as she tried smiling.

I simply nodded and silently prayed that she's right.

'When did this start?' I asked her.

'A month back...he wasn't feeling well, so he went for a regular check-up and....' She trailed of as she tried preventing her tears from falling.

'How's Uzair taking it?'

'I don't Mads, he doesn't want to talk about it! He doesn't even want to go for treatment. I had to beg him.'

'Why didn't you tell us earlier?' I asked suddenly feeling guilty.

Uzair had done so much for Rameez and I! And what have I done? My friend was suffering but I was to busy celebrating my happiness to notice his sadness.

Maseeha let out a small laugh as she said 'He doesn't want anyone's sympathy or pity as he says!'

'He will be fine?' I asked her.

She took my hands in hers and said ' We just have to pray for him Mads! Allah will cure him. He promised ease after every difficult!' with a smile.

I returned the smile as I prayed to Allah for Uzair's health.

Rameez's pov!

Damn! I silently cursed Maseeha. I should have seen this coming.