Chapter Forty Five

It was almost time to bid Rameez farewell. As the days went by it was getting harder for me to let go but I had to be strong. This was a great opportunity for him and I wanted him to go for it. As much as I wanted to go with him I couldn't. I know if I went with, he would spend all his time trying to make me feel comfortable and ignore his studies. He had to do this for himself. He was happy,excited and we all could see it. He was happy and that made me happy. The only reason Aunty Kuslum agreed was because she saw a glimpse of the old Rameez. The Rameez we knew.

'Thinking about me?' Rameez asked me as he snapped his fingers in front of me.

'You wish. I was just thinking about all my freedom I'm gonna have once you leave.' I replied as I packed his bag.

'I wanna see this attitude on the day I actually leave.' Rameez said as he took his shirt from my hand and tossed it on the bed and forced me to look at him.

'Rameez! Let me pack your bag please.' I whispered as I tried to push him away.

'Just say it Mahdiya.'

'Say what?' I asked him as I lowered my gaze.

'That I shouldn't go.'

'As much as I would love to, I won't Rameez. You have to go!' I replied with a smile.

Rameez began to laugh before saying 'you definitely are something else Miss D!'

'That's why I'm the best Meez!' I replied with a wink which caused Rameez to laugh again.

For a while I continued packing Rameez's bags while he continued to stare at me. I pretended that I didn't notice it but it was killing me. I so close to hugging him and telling him not to go.

'Hey miss D?

'Yes Meez?'

'Let's go for ice-cream?' He asked me with a grin.

I looked at him as if he grew two heads. 'Rameez it's 11pm!'

'So what? There's no fixed time to eat ice-cream.' He replied.

When I didn't reply he went on. 'Come on Mahdiya, let's create memories that will last for this whole upcoming year. Memories that will bring smiles on our faces everytime we think of one another. Memories that promise to never leave us alone. What say?'

I broke out in a huge smile before grabbing my hijaab and wrapping it around my head. 'Let's go Ebrahim!'

------------------------------------------------------------

'Mahdiya will you now please tell us the reason for this dawaat?' Nadia impatiently asked me.

Our family decided on inviting our close family and friends for a meal to inform them about Rameez leaving. Rameez's father was very happy for him.

It was sort of a farewell party as well. We all were starting university and we knew it...it was going to change everything. We all were going to have much more responsibilities and only Allah knows when will meet up as we did in school.

'Sabr jaan!' I replied with a smile before leaving to welcome in more guests.

'Everyone is here?' Rameez's father asked as he and all the boys joined us in the hall.

'I suppose so!' Uzair answered as he looked around the room.

'I know you all wondering why we invited you all for a dawaat all of a sudden.' He said as he scanned the room and stopped at Rameez with tears in his eyes. 'Rameez is leaving for Dubai in 3 days time to pursue his dream.'