Chapter Thirty-Seven

Jax

"Papa I'm scared, please don't leave me here?" I said as tears ran down my face as he lowered me into the hole.

"Please David I have to go and help your mama and sisters, so please just stay here and don't come out, I'll come back I swear." with that he shut the hatch leaving me with nothing but darkness in this tiny cramped area, papa come back!

^^^

I jumped awake in a pool of my own sweat as a shiver ran down my spine, why did I have that dream? it had been so long and the doctor said it would stop for good this time, I climbed out of bed moving to the bathroom and opening the cupboard.

I took out the pill container swallowing two before stripping down and getting under a cold shower so my body could cool down, I tried to think of something else so I could get the image of that night out of my head and my mind instantly flashed to Dustin and the day I met him making a smile come to my face.

He was so beautiful and full of life, tackling me and looking like he was out for blood but lately he was different, his smile was gone and his eyes didn't shine like they used to, I would catch him crying at the most obscene times and places and when I asked if he was okay, he would act like it was fine, but he wasn't fine and I tried my best to help him, but I can't help him if he isn't around, I'll go by his place this afternoon after practice to check on him.

--

I got out my car locking it behind me and headed inside going straight for the cafeteria, I could ask Seth to take me over there this afternoon, when I pushed open the door I had to swear my mouth  hit the floor at the sight of Dustin.

He was sitting in his usual spot talking to the guys, I glanced around the table to see all the guys looking a bit unsure of the situation, what the hell happened to them, I looked and saw Mike with his head thrown back as he held a cloth over his nose, did Dustin do that?

I walked up tot the table greeting everyone, Dustin looked at me but his eyes instantly flashed away what was going on here? I sat down after one of the guys shifted and I could see his eyes as they darted to everyone but me, he was giving us new rules and plays that we would be running this afternoon.

His eyes finally caught mine and he laughed at a joke that one of the guys said, but his laugh wasn't genuine, otherwise his entire face would have light up and his eyes would have shined, he put on a mask that no one else seemed to notice, I looked at Seth and saw him studying Dustin, he looked at me and I was thankful at least he noticed.

The bell went off and everyone went for their lockers grabbing whatever books they needed before going to their classes, Dustin, Seth, Jeb and Aiden all had math this first period just like I did, so we all walked behind Dustin, I watched his movement and he didn't have that jump in his step like he used to, it was that bad.

Seth dropped back moving next to me "do you know what's up with him, he seems different?"

"I wish I did, but I do know he's trying so we can at least give him  that much." he nodded and we finally got into the class.

"Boys hurry and get to your seat we've got a quiz this morning." miss Banks said as she adjusted her big rimed glasses.

I sat down just in front of Aiden and Jeb next to Seth who was going to sit next to Dustin until the teacher called him to sit in the front seat, he glanced back at us but collected his paper and started writing it out with no problem.

--

We got out of our last class and headed to the locker room, some of the other guys were already there making jokes and getting ready when they saw Dustin entered the whole room went quiet and some of the guys headed outside.

I rolled my eyes and went to my locker, they were behaving like a bunch of girls, how many times had they changed in front of Dustin when they didn't know he was gay, it wasn't like he had any intention of making a move on any of them, the idiots and I bet all of them were Mike's friends idiots, we would have been screwed if one of them was captain instead of him.

We ran out side and one of the guys was there arguing with the coach about what was most likely Dustin "i don't want to work under him, I mean for god sake he's a fucking Faggot, he should just go and join the cheerleaders and get it over with or better yet the ballet group, I-"

He was cut off when coach finally snapped throwing her clipboard on the floor "Mr Elis Marcus Karnon shut the hell up!" he froze and he seemed to step back "let me tell you something, this is my team I am the head coach and I will decide what happens to my players and how they are arranged and right now i really love the way they are and if you're not comfortable you can leave the team and don't forget to clear out the locker so I can hand it over to your replacement!"

He laughed "you can't replace me I'm one of your best players."

Coach Vanessa's face dropped and she started blinking rapidly before she broke into a fit of laughter pointing at him "you, you, you think you are one of my best players, I never thought I'd see the day that you had the gall to say that to my face, darling you are not one of my best players as far as I'm concerned the only reason you're on this team is because your mother is my friend, but don't get me wrong sweetie, you have been improving just at a snails pace and your mother and your mother has been begging me to keep you on the team, so please if you think you are one of my best players, I am the queen of motherfucking England!"

She cleared her throat watching over his shocked expression  "so you now have two choices either get off my field and don't come back or you can spend the next two hours running laps, choose wisely." with that she turned and walked away leaving him just staring at her back.

Dustin ran past us only glancing at him once before heading over to the coach and talking to her before he turned to us "okay team lets warm up!"