Chapter Thirty-Eight

Dustin

I grabbed the towel drying my neck as i ran over to David who was standing on the track with his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath, i had to speak to coach so she would let him stop after he nearly toppled over for running for almost the full two hours.

I reached to him and handed him the bottle of water and extra rag i had, he scowled at me but collected them anyway, trying his face and drinking out the entire bottle of water, he glanced at me before slowly limping to the locker room.

I went over to coach who was talking to coach Izaak who just happened to be coach Vanessa's husband, he looked at me and gave me a stiff smile before walking off, coach Vanessa turned to me smiling "hey Dustin, what is it?"

"I just came to apologize for staying home for the past two weeks and to let you know it won't happen again." i said scratching the back of my head.

"It's fine, things did get a little messy so i was kind of expecting it, anyways i have the plays and stuff you missed for the past two weeks." she turned to her bag and pulled out a grey file handing it over to me.

"Thanks coach oh and thanks again for this morning, it really helped to here you had my back."

"Don't worry about it, i kind of did it for myself, i have this hate for people like that, plus my baby brother is gay and he nearly killed himself after he was kicked off his soccer team and people started behaving like assholes towards him when he came out, so i'll do whatever it takes to stop that from happening to one of my players." i felt like i got shot through the heart when i heard that, it must have been though and i felt ten times better that i had someone like her here with me.

She put her hand on my shoulder giving me a reassuring smile "don't worry about it, but if you need anything don't hesitate coming to me anyways you should get home." she turned and headed off behind her husband.

I turned around and headed to the locker room, when i got in it was empty, i moved to my locker grabbing my stuff, i took a quick shower before getting dressed and heading outside after locking it up, as i walked out i saw Jax leaning against my car staring at the ground.

He looked up at me but didn't smile, he walked over to me "can i talk to you Dus?" I nodded and sat on the back of my car "What's going on with you and please don't tell me it's fine cause i know it's not."

I looked way should have seen this coming for some reason Jax was good at reading me and i knew he loved me too so i decided it would be best not to tell him what i'm thinking "it's something i'd rather deal with on my own, so-"

He cut me off as he moved in front of me and had a pained look on his face "please Dustin, i want to help you, you don't have to deal with this on your own, i told you that i loved you so you can come to me whenever you need help, please i want to be able to be there for you?!"

I jumped down taking his hands into mine "i know you love me and that you want to help me, but i can't return your feelings, not now and i don't want to drag you into my problems, when it's time i will but not now, so please just leave it be?" his head dropped and the ground seemed to be very interesting to him at that point.

I held his face and he looked up at me "don't worry i'll be fine, i just need you to give me some time, okay?" he nodded and i pulled him into a hug which he returned.

--

I sat in the coffee shop waiting on Aisha, i had called her to speak to her, i wanted to clear things up and prayed that she didn't hate me, the door bell chimed and i looked up to see her wearing a beautiful white dress with a flower in her hair, she looked around before her brown eyes met mine.

She walked over and sat down starring at me before she put her hands up on the table folding them together, she smiled at me and i smiled back"so... um why did you call me here cause i was in the middle of doing something important." i just stared at her my mind going blank.

"Don't tell me you called me here and now you don't know what to say." i looked away scratching the back of my head "okay you know what, i think i know why you called me here and i kind of plan on screaming at some point in that conversation, so we should go somewhere else cause coffee shop people are kind of nosy, let's go." she got up and wen to the counter ordering two Mocha Lattes with extra whip to go.

She walked over to me and handed me one before walking out the door, i went behind her and she walked around standing by the passenger side of the car before looking at me "hurry up and open it, i took a cab here." she rolled her eyes getting in when i did.

Fifteen minutes later we stood under the big oak tree in the park looking at each other, she too a sip of her drink "okay since you appear to have a frog stuck in your throat i'll start, okay" i nodded "why didn't you tell me you were gay?"

"I thought if i told you, you would tell everyone and you know ruin my high school life." i looked away as her mouth dropped open.

"Are you serious right now? first of all i am the captain of a fucking cheer leading squad that has at least five gay guys, two bisexuals, three lesbians and one guy that's still trying to figure himself out, so i think i could understand if my boyfriend told me he was gay, i probably might have dumped you but that would have been the extent of it." 

She dropped her bag on the ground before looking back at me  "what i don't understand is why you used me as a cover so no one would find out you were gay, i really really liked you and i thought that we would be together if not forever at least till the end of high school, but the next thing i know i'm walking into school to see some guy kissing you in images that were plastered all over to the school!" 

   She put her hand up taking a mouth full of her drink before looking at me after she swallowed "do you have any idea how heartbreaking and embarrassing that was? i have spent the last two weeks and i still am trying to fix my reputation and trying not to break into tears every time i thought of you and all the things we did together, all that time and all those things you said thinking maybe all of it was a lie!" i watched as tears spilled from her eyes and she started sobbing.

"I understand that you were wrecked because of what happened to you but you could have spoken to me sooner, i mean we have been dating since that first day we bumped into each other on freshman year  and the whole time you were gay and you didn't think to tell me." she gave me a pained look as her mascara began to run "you were my first love and then i had to go and find out that the whole time you didn't love me and that you were just using me, i am sorry for what happened to you, but i can't forgive you, not now." with that she turned on her heels and stormed off.

She stopped with out looking back "stay away from me, please, i need time." with that she walked away, she had gone out of my view but i could still here her sobbing, what else did i expect would happen, i broke her heart.