Chapter Fifty-One

I felt my throat close up as my eyes widened, I gave a her a questioning look hoping she would understand because at that moment  I couldn't find it in me to speak, she closed in her eyes and took a deep breath before releasing it "Well yesterday I was called into the principals office and he said he had some of the players had came to him with concerns on how the team in structured and he suggested a change in who the captain should be, so from today onward Seth will be the acting captain and Jed will be acting vice captain, while you are assessed on your suitability to be captain, but don't worry it's only temporary, soon you'll be captain again, okay."

She looked at me expectantly while I found myself just staring back at her as I felt tears forming in my eyes "w-wh-what did you just say?" I stood up knocking back the chair "what do you mean, that isn't right, I've already been assessed by you, the other coaches and even Gage the last captain, why would they just suddenly decide that?"

She got up and came walking around her desk to me and was about to place her hand on my shoulder "Dust-"

I cut her off not caring for her excuses "you said that everything was going to be okay, you said that you weren't going to do what those people did to your brother, you said I could count on you, so why are you letting this happen, why are you going back on your word, huh, does it mean nothing to you, were you just saying those things or did you mean it, huh?"

She took a deep breath running her hand through her hair "of course I meant it-"

"Then why are you allowing this to happen, why are you doing the same thing you said you would never do," she looked hurt and opened her mouth a few times to answer but she said nothing bringing me to my end "answer me!" she jumped back and just stared at me with wide eyes "why won't you say anything, huh?!" next thing I knew I was on the ground on my knees crying "why is this happening, what did I do to deserve any of this, would someone please tell me?" I felt my hearth tighten and I held it as I sat down pulling my knees to my chest "wh-why?"

I soon felt strong arms wrap around me as someone pulled me into their chest, I looked up for a minute to see it was Jax before I gripped his shirt and cried into his chest, he ran one of his hands up and down my back while the other ran through my head "hey it's okay, baby it will be just fine, everything's going to be okay, I promise." he whispered in my ear as I continued to cry "shh it's okay baby, I'm here for you, I'm right here."

We sat there for god knows how long before Jax stood up pulling me to his chest, I ignored coach and her husband as Jax spoke "I'm going to take him home, Kindly write a reason for absence, he needs rest."

"Of course." coach said after clearing his throat.

"Come on baby lets go." I nodded and let him lead me out the office and out the building going to his car, he opened the door for me and helped me get in, after I was seated he leaned over pulling the lever for the chair and it eased back "sleep baby." I nodded and he placed a soft kiss on my lips and then on my head before he closed in the door and headed around to his side, I heard him stop to speak to someone but didn't bother finding out who it was, instead I curled up and closed in my eyes doing just what he said, I slept.

Jax

I stood in the hall just staring down the door, what did she want to talk to him about, what was with all the hints Micheal had been dropping in the cafeteria, I really hoped it wasn't what I thought it was because he was just getting better and I'd hate to see him fall again, I sucked in a deep breath when the door opened and out came coach Izaak, he looked up and nodded to me after closing in the door, he walked over and stood next to me, I side eyed him before refocusing on the door. 

"I take it you have an idea of what is going to happen?" I looked at him arching my brow "there was a meeting yesterday and after a vote Dustin was removed from his position as the captain of the football team."

I could feel my eyes widening as I gaped at him before finding myself yelling "what the fucking hell?!" he simply gave me a calm look, within I was in front of him gripping his shirt as he was against the wall in a more forceful manner as I glared him "and who the hell made a decision like that?!"

He seemed to study me for a while before a soft smile formed on his lips "that doesn't matter, what matters is Dustin will need you more now than ever before, you're one of the last things he has, don't let him think he lost you too or it could end badly for everyone especially him."

I gripped his shirt tighter and was about to respond when I heard a loud sob and my eyes snapped away from him to the door, I released his shirt and rushed to the door banging it open, only to have my heart shatter when I saw Dustin curled up on the ground with his knees to his chest, I acted fast moving around the fallen chair stooping down and pulling him into my chest, he continued to sob but looked up for a split second before gripping onto my shirt, but that was all I needed to know that everything we had just worked on building had just turned into ash.

I held him as I tried to calm him down, which he eventually did but he looked dazed and I needed to get him away from his pain, if even for a little bit, so I talked to the coach about a letter for our absence before I held him as close as I could to me and walked to my car, he shivered in my arms and his eyes seemed to be closing in, so I got him to the car, helped him inside and eased back the seat so he could rest "sleep baby."I placed a soft kiss on his lips cherishing the feel of it against mine, because something told me this could be one of the last times I did and I hated that feeling.

I placed another kiss on his head and then closed in the door going around to my side when I heard someone call my name and turned to see Seth running up to me, he stopped and bit his lip "I heard what happened, believe me when I say I had nothing to do with this, I would never do this to him."

I nodded "I know man, don't worry about it okay?" 

He nodded and glanced into the car causing me to do the same, Dustin's eyes were slowly closing in as he curled up making both of us let out a sigh "Jax, promise me you'll take care of my best friend, I'll be there for him when I can but I won't be able to be there all the time, so please promise me and please don't let him do anything stupid."

I nodded as we hooked clapped her hands together pulling each other in for a one arm hug "I promise man, he means the world to me, I won't let anything happen to him." he nodded and slowly walked off, I turned and got in the car, I looked down to see my baby sleeping peacefully I leaned down placing another kiss on his head "I promise I'll always be there for you and I definitely won't let you go." with that I started the car and drove off to our home.