Chapter Forty-Two

Emma Stone as Ellie

Dustin

I jumped up dropping the box of frosted flakes onto the floor at the sound of knocking at my door, i had no idea i had dozed off, i stared at the frosted flakes do i really have to clean this up? the knocking sounded again and i rushed to the door pulling it open.

I opened it to see a girl with messy red hair smiling at me while holding a chocolate cake, i gazed from her to the chocolate cake as she just stared me down "this is getting awkward, i better introduce myself my name is Ellie your new neighbor from across the hall" just then Becky appeared behind her.

"Is that chocolate cake" and the redhead nodded to her "well i'm in, move it." she commanded as she pushed both of us back into the apartment, she locked in the door and went straight for my cupboard pulling out three plates and forks, i furrowed my brow and she just smirked at me.

Ellie placed the cake on the table and came up to me "and you are Dustin right." i nodded and just shrugged before dropping down back in the chair, only to raise up because i plopped down on something, i pulled it from under me to see it was a book.

How did this get here? i looked at the cover to see it marked  All He Ever Wanted, by Anita Shreve "Its a good book i'll lend you it sometime if you want." i looked up to see Becky standing over me.

I shook my head "not much of a reader." she shrugged and handed me a slice of cake.

It was weird to have them just barge in here but they brought cake and in all well formed societies cake trumps all, i took a bite and i swear to god i melted, i quickly took another bite and stopped chewing when i heard Ellie giggling.

"What i like your cake be thankful." she shook her head and took another bite.

"So tell us about yourself Dustin, i mean that is the whole reason we're over here" she looked over at Becky "i think i'm speaking for myself but yeah."

"About me, well i'm sixteen, still in high school, i play football in fact i'm the captain of the team and i'm gay so that sums it up, i guess?" i shrugged before taking the last bite of my cake and moving to get another piece.

"Well i am twenty one attending Stanford university with my two sisters, Wendi and Melanie, i'm the last born out of the three of us, i don't do any sports, i prefer the internet, i like any kind of music, i will listen to whatever as long as i like the song, I've been called weird by my sisters and friends and um i'm straight, except for my hair as you can see." she giggled making her whole face light up.

"Becky your turn" i looked at her to see her face buried in the book and the next thing i saw was a pillow fly past me hitting Becky in her head, she glanced up gasping and looked at Ellie with her mouth open "tell us about yourself you stupid lesbian."

Becky rolled her eyes before lowering the book "Becks i am, i'm twenty i don't go to college, i work at a tattoo shop, i'm the oldest of two, lived with my mom until recently, i don't do sports and i'm hardly on the internet, books are life, i mostly listen to rap, if i was straight i would hump G-Easy, so yeah i guess that should give you the big picture, now leave me alone." with that she raised her book to her face and Ellie let out a dramatic sigh.

"So Dus, why is a sixteen year old living on his own instead of with his folks?" she said picking up my box of frosted flakes and taking a handful stuffing it into her mouth.

I stared up at the roof biting my chewing on my lip i need to break that habit "well to put it blankly, my mom kicked me out for being gay, so that's why."

I heard her let out a gasp "your mom, not your dad?" i nodded still focusing on the roof "that must have felt horrible, so now you're like on your own?" i nodded again and picked up the pillow to cover my face as i felt the tears start to leak, i am not supposed to be crying, please stop.

"Dus are you okay?" i heard Becks soft voice, as someone tugged on the pillow.

Please don't look? just leave me alone. i felt some one sit next to me and pull me into a hug, while i shook my head, just leave me be. "come on don't hide, i know we only met today but i can help you, I've been through what you're now going through, let me help you Dus."

I moved the pillow and hugged Becky back, putting my head on her shoulder as the tears got worse and i started sobbing, i felt my chest tighten and soon i was gasping for air as Ellie panicked, "what should we do, what's happening with him?"

"He has asthma look around for his inhaler." Becky sat me up and started rubbing my back in circles as i tried to breath, she put her hand under my jaw straitening me as she continued to massage my back "have you found it yet?!"

I felt Dizzy and my eyes started to close in just as someone stuck my inhaler in my mouth pumping it, i took it in before taking another and finally being able to take a breath, Becky stared at me giving me a stiff smile "are you okay?" i nodded and leaned my head back on her shoulder as i felt my eyes close in.