Chapter Sixty-One

"Arty, come in for supper!" I snapped ,y head up and looked back to where my mom was standing at the house door, she was wearing one of dad's shirts and her overalls, blonde hair pulled up in a pony tail and feet as bare as the day she was born.

"Coming mommy!" I stood up and rubbed my hands on my jeans before I started to run to the house going as fast as my little feet could carry me, she smiled at me and I was just about to reach the step and jump into her arms when giant arms went around my waist making me cream in surprise before I was thrown into the air, I twirled and landed back in my dads arms laughing out as he held me and landed kisses all over my face, I squealed and he laughed making my mom join in.

She shook her head and walked out onto the porch as dad walked up the three steps while holding me with one arm, he greeted my mom and held her cheek as he leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheeks, before going for her lips, I tilted my head watching them kiss but scrunched up my nose when I heard my brother "Eww cooties." my dad sighed and rolled his eyes adjusting me a little before he looked at my brother and sister who had just come in from school.

"Oh grow up Mickey what are you five make you're going ew cooties?" I looked at my eldest brother who's car had just pulled up before he and my two other sisters got out the car.

Mickey looked at him and stuck his tongue out at Marcus, who's face lit up red as he headed for Mickey, who yelped and ran inside as Marcus headed after him "boys no running in my house or you are grounded for two weeks!" with those words coming from my mom the loud rushed footsteps ceased making me laugh, she looked at me and pecked my cheek before my dad set me down "go and help your sisters set the table Arthur." I nodded and held Isabelle's hand as she passed and headed inside with her, she set her things down on the desk by the door before going into the kitchen that was opposite the living room.

"Come here and wash your hands, big boy." I nodded and she got my stool setting it by the sink before I got on it and she turned on the pipe, I quickly washed my hands before she did the same and then got out the forks and spoons for me to set on the table as she set the plates and cups, while Louise and Sarah set the food on the table, we were soon sitting at the table as we ate and talked, mom asked how everyone's day had gone and they replied making small talked before my dad looked up at me.

"Why didn't you go to school today Arthur, I had went there to pick you up but the teacher said you didn't come?" I froze dropping my spoon in my bowl as everyone turned to look at me, I could feel tears already threatening to spill past my eyes.

My mothers brows scrunched up as she looked at me "Arty you said you didn't have school today, did you lie to me?" I gulped and slowly nodded making her sigh "why did you do it baby?"

I gripped the bottom of my and spun it "I didn't want to go today..." I said quietly trailing off.

"Why?" my dad asked looking my straight in my eyes.

"Paul was going to be there today." I said in a hushed tone.

"So what if he was going to be there, why did you stay home?"

"Because he said when he got back today he would beat me up again and make the last time look like a walk in the park, and the last time wasn't a walk in the park."

Mickey snorted and was about to say something before mom gave him a look silencing him, he gulped and looked down at his hands , before she looked back at me with a soft smile "when did he say that and why didn't you tell us?"

"I was scared, because he said when his uncle found out he would be sure to take care of our piece of shit family." I said in a quiet voice and my mom's eyes widened thinking she was about to yell on me I quickly started speaking "mommy he said it, I was just telling you what he said, I'm sorry for saying a bad word-" I stopped when I realized her and dad were having some sort of conversation with their eyes.

"Isabelle, Marcus, get everyone ready for bed." they both nodded standing up Mickey was about to protests before my dad shot him a look "not a word, bed, now." he swallowed before quickly standing up and running upstairs, Marcus came over and picked me up "everyone is to be asleep before I come up their in an hour, okay?" he nodded.

Soon we had all finished our baths and were changed into our night clothes, Isabelle, read me a story and placed a kiss on my head before tucking me in and leaving the room and that me, Mickey and Marcus stayed in to go to the one that was just across from us where her, Louise and Sarah slept, I looked at Marcus as he came in the room and locked the door, he looked at me saying good nigh before he shut the light off and went to his own bed.

----

I woke up to the sound of a loud bang, jumping up in my bed, I looked around the room to see Marcus and Mickey still asleep, I went to the door and unlocked it going out the room, I headed to the railing and looked down to see a light was on in the living room, I turned and started heading for the step, only for someone to grab me making me yelp just as they covered my mouth, I was turned around to see my dad looking at me, he lifted me up and headed down the steps slowly still holding me in one arm as the other had a bat, he moved quickly and went to the kitchen, going to the pantry, he slowly opened the door and then went in going to a small hatch where we kept the pickles out of Mickey's reach who was always eating them out.

He opened it and put me in, it was small but I fit in easily because of my small size, my dad smiled at me and placed a kiss on my head "stay here for me baby boy, I'll come back for you in a while okay, just be quiet for me okay?"

I shook my head whimpering "daddy it's going to be dark, I don't like the dark please don't leave me here?"

He shook his head "I need you to be strong okay, just this once be brave and I swear I'll come back for you, I swear." I whimpered again and he placed another kiss on my head "I love you." he moved back and closed in the hatch, I whimpered and curled in on myself.

I sat there quietly just listening before I heard angry voices, men yelling, my dad and mom saying something to them back, someone crying and then a loud scream as a bang went off, I screamed before I covered my mouth when I heard footsteps, their was more yelling, I could hear mommy crying and then one after the other bangs went off and there was silence until I heard someone speak before footsteps were heard and the front door opened and slammed shut.

I there in silence for a bit before I let go of my mouth and reached my hand forward, I tried to push on the door but it wouldn't budge, I felt myself start to panic as I tried pushing on it, it wouldn't budge so I continued, so I was banging on it as I cried for someone to open it, the hot tears poured down my face and I tried for hours to get it open, but then it hit me, the door was going to stay, locked and I was not going to get out again because my dad lied and he was never coming back for me.