Newt TMR series

"Guess what?"
"What?"
"Y/N told me she fancies somebody,"
"Who?"
"She didn't tell me, you shanks,"
"I bet it's me,"
"Pfff, as if – it's definitely me,"
"Are you kidding? It's me,"
"You guys are all shucking idiots, she fancies me,"
-
You're working in the Gardens when Newt approaches you. He looks uneasy, and you're desperate to fix it. Nobody knows about the secret crush you have on Newt. Well, you told Minho you liked somebody in the Glade, but you weren't exactly specific.
"Hey, Newt," you say, smiling at him.
"Y/N," Newt pants, and you can tell he ran to talk to you.
"It's the guys. Minho said that you liked somebody in the Glade, and now they're starting a competition. Whoever gets a kiss from you first wins,"
You sigh. You didn't really want too much attention. You were happy just going about your business.
"I just thought I should warn you,"
"Who's playing?" you ask.
"Minho, Ben, Gally, Clint and Adam,"
"Aw, not you?" you ask. You make it sound sarcastic even though you mean it. He laughs.
"Thanks, Newt," you say. He gives you a mock salute before walking off.
Sure enough, soon after Ben shows up.
"Hi Ben," you say absently.
"Hey Y/N," he says in a flirty voice. You could shut the whole game down right there, but for some reason you decide to have some fun.
After all, they were basically playing for the prize. They didn't care if you were heartbroken or not. You may as well use it to your advantage.
"Hey, Ben. Frypan asked me to carry the boxes of supplies to the kitchen, but they are just so heavy. You wouldn't mind carrying them for me, would you?" you ask sweetly.
The boxes weren't heavy at all, just a nuisance. You may as well let Ben carry them. He walks off grinning to himself. You smile at your victory, and attempt to get closer to Newt, but your victory is short-lived.
"Y/N!"
It's Clint.
"What is it?" you ask.
"Well, there's a difficult situation in the Med-Jack hut. I was wondering if you could help out?"
"Well, we know that's not really my area of expertise," you don't even mean to sound flirty. "Look, can we talk later?"
Adam comes up shortly after, asking you what kind of fertilizer he needs to use. You tell him his question was better directed at Zart.
You finally make your way to Newt, who is standing by the tomatoes.
"Hey," you say, sliding up to him.
"Look, Y/N. I hope you don't like one of them. They don't really care about you, and I'd hate to see you get hurt," he says abruptly. You're slightly taken aback.
"Don't worry Newt. I like somebody else," you try to make it sound flirty but cringe at your attempt.
"It's not Alby, is it? Please tell me it's not Alby,"
"It's not Alby! Why would you think that?" you yelp. Newt shrugs.
"Well, I suppose I do have a thing for authority figures. But I hate the spotlight, so they'd have to be in a minor authority position," you flirt. Newt doesn't seem to notice.
"Just...be careful," he says, before walking away, leaving you standing by yourself.
-
After a while, working becomes difficult for you. The boys are constantly distracting you, giving you hardly any time to try to talk to Newt. You get them running around the Glade doing useless jobs.
Even in these periods, it seemed like Newt was avoiding you. You ended up talking to Winston for some reason. He was on a break, and you stood, backs on the wall of the Homestead, watching the boys run around the Glade.
"So, which one's got the best chance?" he asks, laughing.
"None of them," you say, crinkling your nose.
"Yeah, but if you had to pick, which one is doing the best?"
"Minho,"
"Why?"
"He's not constantly bugging me. His pick up charms are much more subtle," you say.
"So why don't you go with him?" Winston questions.
"I like somebody else," you mutter.
"Can I guess?" Winston asks.
"Go ahead. Newt's guessing too," you say.
"But he'll never guess," he says knowingly.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, Newt's clever, but he's not clever enough to guess himself,"
You look at Winston in surprise. Winston was the last person you would've suspected to guess about your crush on Newt. You thought it would have been somebody who knew you better. Then another thought crosses your mind.
"Is it that obvious?" you ask, eyes wide. Winston laughs.
"Would you have these boys in the palm of your hand if it were obvious?" he asks, gesturing to the boys. You sigh.
It is then that the Box alarm goes off. You had forgotten it was the day for a new Greenie. You jog over to the Box, standing next to Newt. Newt grins at you, but there's something behind his eyes.
"Is it Winston?"
"Is who Winston?"
"You know," Newt wiggles his eyebrows. "The one?"
"No!"
Your conversation is cut short by the arrival of the Box. You notice Gally jump into the Box. He pulls the Greenie out and tries to show off by being incredibly rude to him. The new Greenie is the youngest out of all of you, around thirteen.
"Gally! That's enough," you scold him, guiding the Greenie away.
The Greenie's name is Chuck, and you show him around. It does not help that the boys continue to swarm you. When you finally get rid of Adam, Chuck looks at you.
"You know, Y/N, I think they all have crushes on you,"
"They don't, Chuck," you sigh.
"Well, they're acting like they do,"
"They're trying to win a bet," you tell him. He looks appalled.
"Don't worry, Chuck. They'll be playing the game for a long time,"
"Why?" he asks. You smile at his innocence.
"Because I like somebody else,"
-
You end up drinking 5 jars of Gally's drink. Why? You were finding it incredibly hard to handle the boys. They were constantly bugging you. Gally, of course, took this as flirting. You were hardly feeling the effects of the drink, with the boys constantly bringing you back to earth.
You try to dance, but the boys find you there too. You push your way to the edge of the circle, trying to block them out. It is then that Ben stands up on one of the logs.
"Y/N!" he calls. You turn to face him, a look of disgust creeping onto your face.
"What?" you ask tiredly. You notice a few Gladers watching curiously.
"It's time for you to choose,"
"Choose what, Ben?"
"My dear Gentlemen," Ben addresses the other Gladers. "Me and some of my fellow comrades have been attempting to pursue this beautiful young lady ever since she confessed to Minho she had a crush on somebody in the Glade. The time has come, Y/N, for you to choose your suitor,"
"What makes you think I like one of you?" you roll your eyes.
"Well, we are the most eligible bachelors of the Glade," he says, smirking.
"Well, what if I don't want an 'eligible bachelor'? What if I want somebody who's sweet and caring? The kind of boy who will tell me when a group of other boys want me to fall for them so that they can win a stupid bet?"
All five boys' jaws drop open. They don't realise you've dropped two bombshells. Well, it's too late to back out now.
"So, no. I won't be kissing any of you today. But since all of you seem so curious as to who I have this mysterious crush on, why don't I tell you?" you ask.
You see Newt, who seems to have realised you were talking about him earlier, is staring at you, mouth wide. You walk over to him and kiss him right on the lips.
He takes a moment to respond before kissing you back. The kiss (as you'd expected) is long and sweet. You break apart, and the Gladers all stare at you with mouths hanging open.
"You can stick your bet," you say.