Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy

"You're looking good today (L/N)," Draco commented, holding the Great Hall door open for her.
"Thanks," she replied politely, as she moved passed him without uttering another word.
(Y/N) and Draco had been good friends since first year, but their friendship became strained when she started to take a liking to Harry Potter. Draco didn't approve and they would continuously argue. Wanting to avoid confrontations with him, she spoke to him less and less every day until they didn't speak at all. He would try to get her to speak to him, but he had messed things up so badly that she would only say one or two words politely and move on. He missed having her around and wanted her back.
"Morning," she said, touching Harry's shoulder and taking her seat next to him at the Gryffindor table.
Harry quickly wiped his mouth and placed a soft kiss on her lips.
"Morning," he replied with a smile.
As she grabbed a scoop of eggs and a slice of toast, she greeted Ron and Hermione who were seated across from her.
"Malfoy bothering you again?" Harry asked, taking a drink of his juice.
"Yeah," she answered with a sigh. "I don't think he's ever going to face the fact that we can't be friends anymore."
"Maybe I should tell him again to leave you alone," he said, turning to glare at Draco.
Noticing Harry's glare, Draco's fist tightened and a scowl formed on his face.
"No," she said, touching his cheek to turn him back to her. "I don't want you getting into trouble again."
Harry had confronted Draco before and they both ended up in detention for a month. He could see the pleading look in her eyes.
"For you I'll let it go," he replied, giving her another peck on the lips.
With breakfast coming to an end, the owls flew into the Great Hall delivering packages. Everyone looked up from their plates waiting to see if they would receive one. (Y/N)'s owl hovered over her and let go of the box it held. She caught it and began to open it. There was a note attached to the box which she read out loud.
"For you and Harry, love Mother."
Inside the box were two identical necklaces. They were made of thin black leather with a small, dangling, lion pendant. She handed one to Harry while pulling the other one over her head.
"Cute, huh?" she happily asked as Harry put his on.
He nodded his head. Harry appreciated the gift but thought it looked too much like a girl's necklace. Not wanting to upset her, he smiled and tucked it into his shirt.
"Class is starting soon. We should go," Hermione reminded them.
All four of them left the Great Hall and headed to the green house. They were half frozen from the cold air and snow and eager to get inside. Upon entering, Professor Sprout informed them that they needed to find a partner for today's assignment. Harry grabbed (Y/N)'s cold hand and walked them over to a section of the table. Ron and Hermione paired up beside them. Draco purposely placed himself across from (Y/N). Seeing that no one had volunteered to be his partner, he forcefully pulled Goyle over to him.
"Today you and your partner will be repotting the plants in front of you. You will also collect samples and label them properly," she explained looking to each of the students. "You may begin."
Harry grabbed a new pot and placed the plant inside. (Y/N) gathered soil and pushed it down around the plant. He pulled another plant out of its pot and placed it inside a new one and pushed it towards her. He did this a couple of more times not noticing that she was having trouble keeping up.
"Would you slow down?" she said with a bit of anger.
"What's taking you so long?" he replied with the same tone.
"For one, it takes more time to push down soil than to pull a plant," she snapped, wiping her brow with the back of her hand.
She could feel her body temperature rising and there was an unusual amount of sweat dripping down her forehead. Sweat was forming on Harry's face as well, making his glasses slip down his nose.
"Maybe for you. Let me do it," he demanded, yanking the pot away.
"I don't need your help!" she said, pulling at the pot.
Draco watched with amusement as they struggled to pull the pot from one another.
"Let go!" Harry commanded.
"No!" she replied.
Harry managed to pull the pot out of her hands, making her stumble backwards, which caused her to spill the ink bottle onto her skirt, tights and shoes.
"Now look what you've done!" she yelled at him.
"That's what you get for not listening to me!" he replied.
(Y/N) felt an overwhelming heat run through her body. She didn't understand why she had suddenly become so angry. All she knew is that he was the cause of it. She turned around and swiped Ron's ink bottle and hurled it at Harry, hitting him in the face.
"Ow!" he shouted as his lip began to bleed.
She smiled with satisfaction, having gotten her revenge. Harry felt the same heat rise throughout his body. With no self-control, he stomped on her foot. She cried out, raising her foot to clutch it. She slumped over the table as tears stung her eyes from the pain. Ron and Hermione looked at Harry in disbelief.
"What are you doing?" Ron asked, placing himself in between them.
"Stay out of this!" Harry demanded.
"Harry!" Hermione scolded.
Everyone's eyes were now on them, including Professor Sprout, who was making her way towards them.
"You two will be staying after to clean up this mess and everyone else's. Is that clear?" she commanded, looking from Harry to (Y/N).
"Yes," they answered.
"Very well. I suggest you find another partner," she said to Harry.
He switched partners with Neville and stayed silent for the remainder of the class. (Y/N) quietly did her work as well. After class, Professor Sprout made them clean on opposite sides of the room. Being apart made their anger towards each other subside and it was replaced by sorrow and regret. Harry finished his side of the room and left the greenhouse. A few minutes later (Y/N) was done and exited to make her way to her next class.
"Hey, can I talk to you?" Harry asked as she came closer.
She nodded sadly seeing the damage she had inflicted on his lip. It was slightly swollen and started to form a small bruise.
"I'm so sorry," she said, rushing towards him and wrapping her arms around his neck.
"I'm sorry too. I don't know what came over me," he said, hugging her tightly.
She pulled back and pecked his cold lips lightly, careful not to touch the injured area. He looked at her and smiled, trying to reassure her that he was fine. She weakly smiled noticing how uncomfortable it was for him to move his mouth.
"I think you should have Madame Pomfrey look at your lip," she said.
"No it doesn't even hurt," he lied. "But I can take you to have your foot looked at," he added, looking down at her feet.
"It's good," she replied, wiggling her foot. There was only a small pain on the top of it that she could handle. "Walk me to class?"
He grabbed her hand and they headed into Hogwarts. As they walked through the halls towards the staircases, they both started to feel heated again. Harry squeezed her hand feeling the anger starting to rise in him. With her anger forming as well, she squeezed his hand harder. She of course lost that battle, with him being stronger and practically crushing her hand.
"Let go of my hand!" she raged, trying to pull out of his grip.
"No!" he said, pulling her onto the moving staircases. "You wanted me to walk you to class. So come on!"
He ran up the stairs forcefully dragging her behind him. He was dripping with sweat and so was she. Both of them were now at a boiling point with each other. Furious she pulled on his robes, which made him stumble a few steps and caused his anger to spike. He ran faster up the stairs making her fall and twist her ankle. He still didn't stop. She yelled out for him to let her go and when he didn't, she bit his hand. He quickly let her loose and shouted out in pain. With uncontrolled anger burning to be released, he pushed her. She tumbled down several stairs. She was seething as she struggled to get up. Harry stood at the top of the stairs staring down at her with his fists clenched.
"I'm not going to help you up!" he called with his chest heaving.
Her arms trembled as she fought to get to her knees. "I don't want your help! Just get out of my sight!"
"Gladly!" he replied, storming off.
(Y/N) was finally able to stand on her good leg but unable to climb the stairs.
"Are you alright?" a voice asked.
"Yes! Leave me alone!" she replied without turning to see who was there.
"Let me help you," he said.
"I said!" was all she managed to shout before a calming sensation washed over her as she felt his touch on her shoulder. With much relief, her anger had vanished. "Draco, what are you doing here?"
"Didn't feel like going to class. Good thing or I wouldn't of found you here."
He could see that she was in pain leaning against the railing with her foot raised.
"Are you able to walk?" he asked, stepping closer to her.
"No," she winced.
Draco scooped her up bridal style and quickly took her to see Madame Pomfrey.
Making his way to the Gryffindor common room, Harry's rage began to settle. He recalled leaving (Y/N) hurt at the bottom of the stairs and ran back to her. His actions didn't make sense. He would never do or say those things to her. He knew the same could be said for her. He rubbed his neck in frustration trying to contemplate what was happening to them. When he arrived at where he left her, he saw that she was no longer there. He searched her class and when she wasn't there he headed to the hospital wing.
Draco set (Y/N) down in the nearest empty bed and called for Madame Pomfrey. He sat next to the bed watching as she examined her. (Y/N)'s body temperature started to rise as Madame Pomfrey touched her. Unable to take any more, she kicked at her.
"Stop touching me!" she commanded.
"Calm yourself Miss (L/N)," she insisted as she held down her legs.
Draco grabbed (Y/N)'s hand. A calm came over her and she stayed still letting Madame Pomfrey finish. She found it odd how his touch could make her anger go away so easily. She actually felt happy around him, which she hadn't felt that way since they were friends.
She was given a potion for her broken ankle. It would be healed by morning, meaning she would need to stay there until then.
Harry came through the hospital doors and spotted (Y/N). Without skipping a beat, a burning flash ran through him. The closer he got to her the more intense it became until he was dripping with sweat. His jaw clenched tightly and his breathing became heavy.
Draco noticed Harry making his way to them and let go of (Y/N)'s hand. Having broken contact with Draco, she instantly mimicked the symptoms of Harry.
"What are you doing with him?!" he shouted, walking faster.
Madame Pomfrey rushed over, having heard the two of them yelling at each other.
"Didn't I tell you to get out of my sight?!" (Y/N) said, grabbing the mug by her bedside and launching it at him, nearly hitting Madame Pomfrey as she reached them.
"You need to leave Mr. Potter," Madame Pomfrey demanded, escorting him away from (Y/N).
"Don't touch me!" he said, pulling out of her grip.
"Unless you want detention for the rest of the school year Mr. Potter, leave now," she pointed to the door.
He planted himself for a moment, fighting against the urge to lash out. A small part of him knew his behavior wasn't normal. He closed his eyes and turned his back to them trying to break the hate-filled connection. He felt a minor decrease and was able to force himself to walk out of the doors.
Madame Pomfrey picked up the broken pieces of the mug and emptied them into the trash bin.
"No more outbursts from you either Miss (L/N)," she warned.
(Y/N) simply nodded as Madame Pomfrey walked away.
"I don't understand what is going on with me," she said, wiping her face with her sleeve.
Draco held her hand again and the last bit of anger that was in her vanished. Her body relaxed and returned to normal. His touch was so comforting which only made her more confused. She released his hand and the heat made an appearance again. Her limbs tensed. She clutched his hand once more. The heat vanished along with the tension. Why was he having this effect on her? How come he was the only one she didn't feel angry towards?
"What are you doing?" he asked.
"It's weird. When you touch me I don't feel angry. It disappears but when you're not it comes right back," she explained giving him a questionable look.
"That is weird," he replied, shifting in his seat. "But if I'm making you uncomfortable I can go," he said, releasing her hand as he stood.
Heat, irritation, and tightness in her body quickly settled in. It was exhausting feeling this way. She just wanted it to stop and for now he was the only solution.
"No! Don't go," she requested, taking hold of his hand.
"I'll stay," he replied, taking his seat.
Draco knew she would ask him to stay. He was her only relief and he was going to take advantage of that.
Drowsiness started to set in from the potion she was given and she gradually fell asleep.
She awoke that evening to the sound of Madame Pomfrey's voice.
"Miss (L/N) it's time for dinner," she said, placing a tray of food on the bedside table.
Sitting up she noticed that Draco was gone. The symptoms were once again set into motion.
"Where is Draco?" she snapped.
"I sent him away. Visitors are not allowed at this time," she answered. "He can come back in the morning."
She planned on telling Madame Pomfrey about what had been happening to her, but seeing as Draco wasn't there to calm her, there was no way for that examination to take place. She would have to endure her suffering throughout the night.
The next morning she was still very tired. Her anger prevented her from relaxing long enough to get an adequate amount of sleep. Her symptoms had become stronger. And being unable to relax her body was becoming painful. She hoped Draco would return after breakfast to give her relief. She didn't like having to turn to him for help, but until she could figure out what was going on with her, she would have to put up with him.
Draco sauntered into the hospital relishing the fact that (Y/N) needed him. She was back in his life and wanted it to stay that way.
"Morning, beautiful," he said, holding out his hand to her as if it were a gift.
She ignored his greeting and quickly latched onto his hand. It was bliss as all the anger and pain escaped her body. She leaned back and let out a comforting breath.
"Better?" he asked, squeezing her hand.
"Yes," she answered, forming a small smile and closing her eyes.
He missed seeing her smile and was glad that he was the only one who could make her happy. He could tell that she was tired so he remained quiet, allowing her to sleep while he held her hand.
"(Y/N) wake up," Draco said, shaking her shoulder.
She opened her eyes and cleared her throat. "What time is it?"
"Almost noon," he replied. "Your ankle is healed. We can go now."
"It is," she said, rotating her ankle and not feeling any pain. "But I wanted to tell Madame Pomfrey about my other symptoms. Maybe she knows what is going on."
"I told her when she was checking your ankle," he lied.
"What did she say?"
"She didn't know the reason but would let you know when she had the answer," he lied again.
Draco didn't want her to be cured. It was perfect for him right now. She was dependent on him and mad at Harry. He wasn't going to give that up.
"We'd better leave if we want to make the train to Hogsmeade," he said, helping her out of bed.
"I don't know if that's such a good idea," she said, fixing her hair with her free hand.
"Of course it is. We can have fun and you can forget about everything for a while," he replied.
She could tell he wasn't going to be convinced to stay. She had to go. She wasn't eager for the anger and pain to return if she separated from him.
"I guess you're right," she said.
When they arrived at Hogsmeade, Draco took them straight to Honeydukes Sweetshop. He wanted to be seen with her and that was the most popular place. As they waited to enter, (Y/N) saw Harry inside through the window.
"Let's go somewhere else," she told Draco.
He followed her eyeline and saw what she was trying to avoid.
"Because of Potter? Your anger is under control with me. You don't have to worry," he said, shuffling them inside. He wasn't going to miss an opportunity to flaunt her in front of him.
She cautiously steered them away from Harry and they would of gone unnoticed if Draco hadn't purposely dropped a glass jar, forcing everyone to look in their direction.
Harry's head snapped towards the commotion. His temperature spiked along with his anger. His eyes were immediately drawn to their clasped hands, which in turn infuriated him. Draco wanting to send him over the edge, gave him a smirk and turned to (Y/N). He grabbed the back of her head and crashed his lips against hers. She quickly shoved him away, breaking their connection.
"Don't do that," she commanded, still unable to feel any anger towards him.
With their hands no longer connected, she felt the fury race back into her. Anger coursed through her veins for everyone in the room, especially Harry.
"Come on," Draco calmly said, offering his hand to her.
She couldn't think with the anger and pain, but her instinct told her she couldn't trust Draco anymore. The way he was acting like he could do what he wanted without consequence because she was dependent on him.
"(Y/N)," he said, moving his hand closer to her. "You need me."
She fought against taking his hand and ran out of the shop. He tried going after her but Harry cut him off.
"Get out of my way Potter!" Draco commanded, gripping the front of Harry's shirt.
Harry reeled his arm back and with extreme force and anger drove his fist into Draco's face. He felt the necklace that (Y/N)'s mother had given him break off his neck as Draco flew back hitting the floor. The fury and heat left his body instantly, only the normal anger he felt towards Draco remained. Seeing the necklace in Draco's hand made him realize what had been the cause of his and (Y/N)'s troubles. He left Draco bleeding on the floor and ran to find her.
He asked several people if they had seen which way she ran. They pointed him towards the shrieking shack. He found her sitting on a tree stump doubled over in pain.
"(Y/N)!" he shouted, running to her.
She heard him call to her and stood quickly.
"Get away from me!" she angrily ordered.
"I can help you," he said, slowly walking towards her now.
She picked up a few rocks and chunked them at him.
"Ow! (Y/N) stop please!" he pleaded.
She continued pummeling him with rocks. Harry knew there wasn't any reasoning with her in this state. He would have to get close enough to take the necklace off of her. He shielded his face with his arms and ran towards her. When he was close enough, he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her down to the ground. With her arms flailing at him, he managed to sit on her and hold down her arms.
"Get off of me!" she seethed, bucking her hips trying to remove him.
He ignored her demand and pulled the scarf off her neck. He saw the necklace and ripped it off her throat. She instantly felt the anger leave her body the way he had. Her pain left and her mind was clear. It was as if she had been awakened from a dream.
"Harry," she said with relief. "Thank you."
She pulled him down into a hug. He returned the hug then pulled back slightly and kissed her tenderly on her slightly warm lips.
"Your lips are cold," she giggled.
"Well I've had more time to cool off," he joked, removing himself from her and resting next to her on the snowy ground.
He told her how he hit Draco then figured out it was the necklace. They both came to the same conclusion that it wasn't her mother who had given them the necklaces. It had to of been Draco.
Before heading back to Hogwarts, Harry burned the necklace keeping anyone else from harm. They later learned that Hermione had been in the shop and discarded the other one.
(Y/N) slept peacefully that night and was now happily walking down the hallway to meet Harry in the library. She heard footsteps behind her then a hand touch her shoulder. When she turned to look and saw that it was Draco, she swatted his hand off of her.
"(Y/N) just give me a minute," he pleaded.
"Why? I know it was you who sent me those necklaces! You're just lucky that I can't prove it!" she shouted.
She waited for his reply and when he didn't say anything she started to walk away. He caught her by the arm and stopped her.
"Well? Are you going to tell me the truth or tell me more lies!?" she asked as she pulled out of his grip.
"Fine it was me!" he said with frustration.
"Why would you want to put me through that!?" she asked.
"Because I wanted you to feel the way I did!" he said running his hand through his hair.
"What are you talking about?" she asked confused.
"Do you know how painful it is to see my best friend with the person I hate most!? I have been carrying around this anger inside me ever since you took our friendship away and I wanted you to know what I've been dealing with ever since then!" he angrily said as tears began to sting his eyes.
(Y/N) was shocked to hear him admit what he had done and why. But she couldn't let his pain excuse what he had done to her.
"I gave you plenty of chances to stop arguing with me about Harry! But you wouldn't let it go! I had to make a choice! After what you did to me, I know I made the right one! If ever there was a chance of us being friends again, that is now forever gone! I can never forgive you!" and with those last words she walked away.
She never told Harry about their conversation. She just wanted to be happy with him and permanently forget about Draco. After that day, Draco didn't approach her again and had to live with the fact that he would never have his best friend back.