Ch. 1 - Music To My Ears?

~ Chapter 1: Music To My Ears? ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

“We need to get you cleaned up,” I said strictly, as Jackie ran her hands down her hair, wrapped it around her hand and gave a little squeeze so some of the coffee could come off.

“It’s alright, I can just go to my friend’s house and get cleaned up there,” she smiled shyly at me, flipping her hair to one side.

“Aren’t you staying at this hotel, though?” I asked curiously.

“Well… no. I was supposed to wait for one of my friend’s friends here so we could both go see her today, which is the only reason I’m here at England,” she explained.

“Ah, that makes sense,” I nodded, “I noticed you didn’t have an accent. Are you American?”

“Yeah.. Born and raised.”

“Where at?”

“California,” she replied, and my eyes widened.

“Next stop is California and we’re giving you a little break there.” Scooter’s past words rang in my ears.

“Well… What a coincidence,” I mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing,” I covered up with a smile. “But c’mon, just head over to my hotel room. It’s the least I can do for being the cause of you soaking in coffee.”

“I told you don’t worry about it. It wasn’t completely your fault.”

“I still feel bad, so let me make it up to you,” I said, almost desperately.

She bit her lip and crossed her arms, eyeing me up and down as if to contemplate my suggestion.

“Fine,” she said. “I’ll visit my friend tomorrow.”

“You don’t have to bail on your plans, I just wanted you to c-”

“-It’s okay,” she brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “I want to. I can just call her other friend and tell her to leave without me.”

It was silent between the two of us and I pursed my lips, biting the inside of my cheek.

“Okay,” I whispered, reaching my hand out to her. “Let’s go.”

She stared at my hand for a few seconds before finally intertwining my fingers with hers. Once she did, I felt an insane amount of sparks run throughout my veins at the same time as my heart began to beat so fast, I was scared it would jump out of my chest. It suddenly got very hot in the hallway and it felt as though I was sweating, though I knew I wasn’t. I accidentally let out a gasp and I let go of her hand, the air around me cooling off and the sparks disappearing, my breathing returning to its normal pace.