Ch. 52 - Accusations

~ Chapter 52: Accusations  ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

I clenched my fists, my mind wandering into angry thoughts. Does this mean Katie lied to me? How’s it possible that I’ve been living a lie these past few months? If the baby really isn’t mine, I want an explanation for this shit. How, all this time, I’ve been walking around thinking that Katie’s pregnant with my child.

I’m not gonna lie, though. There’s this sense of relief rushing throughout me. My fears of being a father are subsiding and I feel just a little bit less stressed. But that wasn’t changing the fact that I was still angry.

I charged out of my room and sped down the hallway, making it into the living room in time to see Katie curled up on the couch. She lifted her head and noticed me staring at her. I was about to speak, but she beat me to it.

“I’m sorry..” she whispered.

I stopped. Which part of her wrong-doings is she apologizing for?

“I shouldn’t have said that back there,” she added. “Um.. Said that I love you.”

“Katie,” I stopped her, slowly approaching where she sat. “I’m going to ask you one question. I’d like you to answer me and I’d like you to do it honestly. Got it?”

She blinked in confusion. “Wait—What?”

“Is that baby… the one growing inside you as we speak… Is it mine?” I asked her straightforward.

“Uh, I thought we were past this?” she said. “Are you doubting me? You think I’m… lying to you?”

I paused, thinking of ways to reply to that.

“Yeah, actually. I do think that,” I clarified, leaning closer to her. “Am I.. wrong to think that?”

She looked me in the eyes. “Justin, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean?” I played dumb.

“You’re suddenly questioning me after I told you everything I’m sure about.”

“And you’re sure you’re not lying to me?”

“Why would I lie to you?”

“I don’t know, you tell me. Why would you lie to me, eh?”

“I’m not.”

“Katie..”

“Justin..”

I sighed, leaning back and crossing my arms. “So do you want to explain to me why the test came out negative?” I sat down across from her. “I’ve got all the time in the world to hear it.”