Ch. 79 - Don't Know What To Do

~ Chapter 79: Don’t Know What To Do ~

[ Alfredo’s POV: ]

As I watched Justin kneel on the floor in tears, I could feel my own eyes beginning to water.

I wanted to say something to him. Anything. But I wasn’t sure what to say.

Katie’s dead.

She’s gone. There’s nothing I can do about that. So I don’t think anything I say to him would make him feel any better.

“Are you okay?“ I managed to ask him, feeling utterly powerless.

Justin covered his face in his hands, his entire body shaking. He had dropped Katie’s letter on the floor next to him and I glanced at the clock, counting the minutes I spent watching him weep.

“H-How did you know about this?” his shaky, muffled voice filled the air.

I swallowed slowly. “Um.. Katie came to me one night and asked me for a favor. She didn’t tell me details but she said it was important and I felt bad so I helped her.”

Justin was quiet for a second, occasionally hiccuping small cries.

I continued. “She only wanted me to deliver that first letter, and I didn’t see any harm in that. So, yes, it was me who put the letter in your room and made sure it got to you.”

Justin wiped his face and didn’t move from his spot on the floor as he stared off into space.

“T-This is all my f-fault..” he whispered. “I killed Katie.”

My eyes widened. “Whoa—What? Justin, this is no one’s fault. You can’t blame yourself for something you didn’t know was happening!”

“If only I would’ve been nicer..” he sniffed. “If only I hadn’t doubted her, or if I listened to her. Things would’ve turned out okay.”

“She said she loved you, Justin,” I sighed. “You really planned on being with her because you feel bad that you don’t feel the same way?”

“But I do love her!” he yelled, and there was sudden silence in the room. I gave him a sad look.

“You’re only saying that because you think you do now that she’s gone,” I said. “You love Jackie with all your heart and we both know it. You couldn’t have ever loved Katie the way she wanted you to love her, even if you tried.”

Justin’s gaze on me lingered for a while before he sighed softly. “Maybe so..” he trailed off. “But I did love her.. Even as a friend. I didn’t mean to treat her the way I did. If only I would’ve known..”

Justin leaned down and I saw a single tear slide down his cheek. He raised his hand shakily and placed it on his chest.