Ch. 27 - Won't Give Up

~ Chapter 27: Won’t Give Up  ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

“Justin please…” I whispered. The side of his face was illuminated by the limited lighting coming from the window. The sound of a thunderclap went off, and the room lit up for one second before it went dark again. Justin’s eyes were hard on mine and I felt myself gulp. “Let’s just talk for a bit… We can work this through.”

“I don’t want to talk!” he yelled, angrily stomping one foot on the floor. “I’m done with love, Jackie! I don’t care what you say or do, I will never, ever love you,” he spat. “Ever!”

Tears surfaced in my eyes. “I won’t mean it,” Justin’s past words circulated my thoughts, haunting me second by second. “Don’t give up on me.”

“I’m not giving up on you,” I accidentally blurted out, meeting his harsh gaze. For a second, he seemed confused by my sudden outburst, but was quickly enraged again, his hands forming fists and, with his body language, he dared me to speak one more word about love. “I promised you, I won’t.”

“Jackie…” he growled lowly, his tone coming across as a warning.

He took a threatening step towards me and, by instinct, I stepped back, then realized what I had done. I can’t back away. I have to show him that I’m willing to stand up for him. He can’t intimidate me.

“Drop it,” he hissed the words. “Let it go, it’s over.”

Okay, maybe he can. Just a little bit.

“No,” I said bravely, knowing that was the exact wrong thing to say to him while he’s like this.

Justin glared at me, stepping even closer. This time, I didn’t back away. Instead, I continued to look at him without hesitation. He looked so angry that his eyes appeared to be a vivid red, a pure color of rage. Just before he could do anything else, he suddenly let out a soft sigh, his eyes slowly returning to that brown shade I fell in love with.

“Please…” he whimpered. “Stop.”

My heart skipped a beat and I looked at him with concern. “Justin, I’m not hurting you. And I never plan on doing so,” I assured him.

“Don’t,” he raised his hand to stop me. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep. That’s what damages me the most. You women make me feel like I have it all. You make me fall for you. I give you everything I have to offer and you return the favor by ruining me. Love will be the death of me, Jackie.”

“Not all women are like that,” I quickly protested. “A lot of girls say the same thing about guys but not all guys are like that either. You certainly aren’t.” We locked gazes and I decided to be bold and try the first move. Lifting my hand, I cupped his cheek gently and caressed the skin with my thumb. I let out a small smile, watching as his eyes sparkled into mine. The sound of the rain clacking against the windows filled the silence, and I lowered my voice. “I care so, so, so, so much about you,” I whispered. “Just let me help you, Justin.”