Ch. 46 - I Understood

~ Chapter 46: I Understood  ~

~ present day ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

Alfredo ended up having to handle some business back when we were in New York. But when he finally joined us at the hotel in Miami, he already knew about the whole Katie situation and how she was staying with us. Scooter called him beforehand so he knew what was going on before he even got here. When he stepped inside the living room, he gave Katie a handshake, greeted her and gave her a smile that was fake as fuck. Katie then returned to the couch to keep watching television and that’s when Alfredo’s gaze met mine. He made fierce eye contact with me, and I could see his anger flaming inside his pupils.

That’s when I got confused.

Why is he so mad at me? I didn’t do anything to him, and if he’s mad about Katie, I thought he’d support me no matter what. Was I wrong?

“Justin,” Fredo called out, glancing at Katie, whose focus shifted from the television to Alfredo as soon as he spoke.

“Yeah?” I replied.

Alfredo hesitated before clearing his throat. “I’m planning on wearing a certain pair of shoes tomorrow but I can’t find the left shoe. Can you help me look in my room?”

I looked at him, anxiousness rising inside me. I knew that what he really meant was something like, ‘I’m pissed as fuck and you better get your ass into a private space so we can talk without that girl over there listening.’

“Sure,” I sighed before turning towards Katie. “We’ll be back.”

“No, take your time,” she smiled. I gave her a smile back before following Alfredo down the hallway and to his room. Once Fredo shut the door, I braced myself for the worst.

“You are such an asshole,” he spoke calmly, causing my heart to sink. The tone he had said that in scared me. It was the same concept as when children prefer their parents yell at them when they’re angry instead of speaking quietly to them, because the calmness is how you know they’re utterly disappointed in you.

“W-What?” I choked out.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he glared at me. “I heard the rumors but I obviously didn’t think twice about it. All this time, I was by your side thinking the media was really going out of their way to make you look bad, but the joke’s on me because you actually got that girl pregnant…”

There was such sorrow dripping from his voice, and I could feel knots forming inside my stomach.

“I didn’t… I didn’t want anyone to know the truth,” I whispered.

“That’s complete bullshit. You could’ve just talked to me and I would’ve listened. I’m finding out now that all those articles about you fucking some slut you don’t know while high are actually truth.”