Ch. 61 - Midnight

~ Chapter 61: Midnight ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

After we ate dinner, Justin laid out a blanket on the sand and we laid down on it, gazing up at the stars.

I had finished telling him about the topic I don’t talk much about—my parents.

It wasn’t anything they did that was so horribly bad.. It’s just that I feel as if I don’t really have parents, as they’re never around. They’re always traveling for their jobs and I’m never in contact with them. I always tell myself that this shouldn’t bother me, but… How can it not? I’ve practically been raised by babysitters and family friends. I started living on my own once I was 16. It was still in our house, except my parents were never home. They took care of the bills and left plenty of money for food but I didn’t care about all that. I just wanted them physically with me. That’s all I needed.

“You okay?” I heard Justin’s soft voice call out to me. I turned my head to look at him while he gazed at the sky.

“Y-Yeah,” I cleared my throat. “It’s just.. The stars are beautiful.”

Justin slowly grabbed my hand, intertwining my fingers with his.

“Not as beautiful as you,” he whispered, now looking me dead in the eyes.

I stared back at him, sensing the seriousness in his tone. There was a small smile at the corner of his lips and I let out a breath in awe. He’s so perfect.

I squeezed his hand. “You love making me blush, don’t you?”

He let out a chuckle before speaking, his voice gentle and honest. “I just want to make you happy.”

I could feel the butterflies beginning to form in my stomach. “I could say the same about you,” I said softly, feeling the happiness surfacing inside me. “I love you.”

Justin’s smiled widened as he scooted closer to me. “More than Apple and Banana Pie?” he joked, causing me to let out a loud laugh.

Way more,” I giggled.

He leaned even closer until our noses were touching. “I love you too.” He couldn’t keep his eyes off of me and I shyly stared back at him. He reached up with his free hand and gently held my chin, caressing my lips with his thumb.

“I know I’m asking for a lot…” he whispered, his hand traveling down to the back of my neck. “But please.. Never leave me.. I’ve had enough of that… Of people leaving me.”

I rolled to my side so that now my entire body was facing him. “I’m never, ever going to leave you,” I reassured him. “I promise.”

He let out a bittersweet chuckle. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep, Jackie,” he sighed sadly before tilting his head and crashing his lips into mine. I felt my entire body heat up as I kissed him back, unable to believe how lucky I am to be here with him.