Ch. 48 - Her Secret

~ Chapter 48: Her Secret  ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

My mind was racing. My heart was beating loudly inside my chest. My head was full of thousands of thoughts I couldn’t even process.

Where’s the other blunt?

Did someone take it? I-I think so. But who?

I began making a list of possible culprits. Alfredo? No, he’s not here and he probably wouldn’t do that. Scooter? I just spoke with him, but he didn’t seem to be disappointed in me for some unknown reason, so he’s still oblivious to this. Katie? Well she is the only one who knows I’m still smoking.

Katie.

“Fucking shit,” I whispered, hiding back the last blunt inside my backpack before storming outside the room. I walked down the hallway until I reached Katie’s room and I knocked only once before barging in. It didn’t take me long to realize the room was empty, even when the lights were off. But once I turned on the lights, everything was clear to me. She wasn’t here.

Where is she? She told me in the note that she was tired so she went to bed. Was that a lie? Obviously…

I muttered incoherent things to myself before shutting the door and returning to my room. I quickly put on a shirt and a pair of shoes before grabbing a jacket and the keys to the suite. It’s supposed to be pretty cold tonight and now I’m worried about Katie. No, no… Two things. I’m worried and mad at her. How could she do this to me? To herself? She’s pregnant, so what the fuck is she doing with a blunt of weed?

I made sure I was quiet as I sneaked down to the living room and exited the suite. I took the elevator to the lobby and the minute I stepped outside the hotel, the cold breeze hit my face immediately. I didn’t know where to look, so I first went to the parking lot to see if Katie was hiding there. Unfortunately, she wasn’t.

“Where are you?” I whispered to myself, picking up my pace as I walked back to the hotel entrance. I decided to circle the entire outside of the building, or else I’m going to have to search for her by car around the city—something that could take all night, or even more than that.

I began quickly walking around the hotel building, looking for spots that Katie might be hiding in. I spent about 20 minutes circling the place over and over, trying to get every little spot she could’ve escaped to, but I didn’t find her. When I finally stopped to rest, I was in the back of the hotel where I got a perfect view of the moon shining down with its bright lights. I sighed and leaned on the wall, staring at the moon’s beauty while my head thought of more places I could search in.

And then, it hit me.

It was very faint, but I recognized it. It was the smell of weed coming not far from where I stood. I spent about ten more minutes following the smell, yet getting nowhere. That’s when I realized Katie might not even be outside after all. The place where the smell was the strongest was near a door that read ‘employees only’, but something tells me Katie went inside regardless. So I grabbed the doorknob and sighed in relief when it still opened. This door should be locked, but someone probably forgot to do that.