Ch. 28 - Misery Loves Company

~ Chapter 28: Misery Loves Company  ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

I laid there staring at the ceiling as the sunlight seeped through the curtains into chunks of light on the walls. I heard myself whimper softly—something I’ve been doing all night, actually. I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t find a way to relax, knowing that Justin’s heart is hurting and that he’s probably having trouble sleeping as well. I also noticed Alfredo is still nowhere to be found, which makes me wonder…

What happened between him and Justin?

Why did he have the urge to leave? Did Justin force him out? If he didn’t, why would Fredo choose to leave him here alone? Did he finally get fed up with him? Did he give up on him?

Why, I would never.

It’s not a fair deal. I can feel Justin’s heartbeat, even from here. I can feel his pain. I’m in pain… Just because he is. You know what they say about misery.

It loves company.

I sat up on the bed, running a hand through my wild bed-hair and throwing the covers off my body. Suddenly, I heard shuffling in the hallway and I froze. Remaining still, I listened quietly to the movements going on outside of this room. I could see a shadow moving from the small gap between the floor and the door. The shadow stopped right in front of the door and, all of a sudden, a folded piece of paper slipped its way inside the room through the small door gap. The shadow stayed put for a couple of seconds before it disappeared to the left, followed by faint footsteps that I couldn’t hear anymore after about ten seconds.

Did Justin write me a note? Why doesn’t he just come in?

I let out a soft sigh, standing from the bed and quietly approaching the piece of paper. Picking it up, I felt my heart beating faster and I curled my toes, nervously unfolding the note. I closed my eyes, feeling the butterflies swarm my stomach and I bit my lip, internally attempting to relax myself before I could read what was on the note. I counted to five slowly before opening my eyes and staring at the paper in my hands, seeing that Justin had written only two words.

Two words.

Two words that made my heart ache. Two words that made me bite my lip even harder, hard enough to draw blood. Two words that almost made me smile. But two words that also made me frown:

I’m sorry.

- J

That was all that was written on the note. An apology—that was it. I didn’t know how to react to it, so I just stood there staring at the note for what felt like hours. I then felt tears surfacing my eyes so I blinked a couple of times to make them go away.

Folding the note again, I stored it in my pocket and cautiously opened the door, noticing how the entire suite was in silence. I walked down the hallway and to the bathroom, where I did my usual morning routine. After taking a shower, I checked if my clothes—which were left here in the bathroom—were dry yet and surprisingly they were, so I changed back into them and brushed my hair quickly.