Ch. 51 - Now or Never

~ Chapter 51: Now or Never  ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

It’s been about 3 days since Katie and I were forced to take the paternity test. I could tell Katie thought we’ve lost trust in her, or that we’ve gone against her by doing this, but I think she also understands Scooter’s intentions behind it. The fact that she cooperated and didn’t ask questions or complain, made me feel like she’s confident it’s my baby.

I just don’t see how it could be someone else’s,” I remember her telling me. “I think I’d know if there was some other guy that could possibly be the father. But that’s impossible. I had sex with you, not some other person.”

Still, I can’t ignore this feeling inside me that wishes it wasn’t my baby. I know it’s terrible to think about, and maybe Katie doesn’t want to be a parent right now any more than I do, but the feeling is still there.

I love Jackie. I realize that now. But how can she ever be in my reach with this baby in the way? What am I supposed to do? Do I even have a chance? Jackie seemed pretty happy with that other guy, so why would she consider taking me back after all I’ve done to her? I hope she understands that everything I did, I did it for her. For her own happiness and well-being. I kept her out of fame this far, so why would I tug her in now?

“You okay?” Katie’s voice snapped me from my thoughts.

I blinked twice and looked over at her to see her sitting on the couch, snacking on crackers as she watched t.v.

“I’m fine,” I sighed, readjusting myself on the love seat next to her.

“You sure? You seem kind of dazed,” she murmured.

“I’m fine,” I repeated.

Katie nodded and turned her attention back to the television. I simply stared at her for a while before speaking again.

“Katie,” I called out.

“Hm?”

“How far along now?”

She glanced at her belly and then back at me. “Only 4 months left,” she said softly.

“Oh,” I bit my lip, awkwardly looking at the television as well. “Well, um, whenever you’re ready…”

“Yeah, I know,” she smiled, “I’m just about done eating.”

“Alright,” I nodded, standing up and grabbing my keys. “Let’s go.”

“Sure,” she said, turning off the t.v and following behind me.

I could feel my stomach twisting in knots. Today’s the day we find out the baby’s gender, as well as checking up on how it’s doing. Katie’s been more than excited waiting for today, but me? I’m anxious. I know it’s the right thing to come along with her, but I’m starting to wonder how this baby thing is gonna work out.