Ch. 15 - Heartbreaker

~ Chapter 15: Heartbreaker  ~

[ Alfredo’s POV: ]

“ ♪ I still believe in love,

I still believe in us,

I hope you believe in us,

the way I believe in us, you don’t see…♪ ”

I watched as Justin sang his heart out at the studio in L.A. He told me earlier this morning that he just couldn’t stop thinking about the pain in his heart—the pain of getting over both Jackie and Alicia at the same time. He barely even got any sleep, since all he was doing in the middle of the night was working on the same song I’m hearing him record right at this very moment:

Heartbreaker.

The power in his voice and the lyrics he sang made me feel more and more sorry for him. I didn’t want my best friend going through all this pain.

“ ♪ You told me to be careful with your heart,

your heart,

You told me to be careful with your heart,

your heart, with your heart. ♪ ”

He finished the song, his chest heaving up and down as he grabbed the water bottle next to him and unscrewed the cap, taking large gulps of the liquid before sealing the cap back in its place and setting down the bottle somewhere near him.

“Justin..” I trailed off, watching him come out from the sound booth and look at me. “That was amazing.”

“Thank you,” he half-smiled, wiping sweat from his forehead.

“Really powerful vocals, bro,” I gave him a thumbs up.

“Thank you,” he repeated.

I then watched him collapse on a chair, taking his phone out and doing god-knows-what in complete silence, not even uttering another word. He had gone into the studio early in the morning and recorded bits and pieces of the song he had written over and over until they were perfect and then he combined them together to complete one, powerful song. It’s now getting late and the moon is now shining bright in the sky and all he could do is sit there on his phone? Isn’t he proud of his work? Isn’t he going to celebrate?

“Justin,” I called his name again, causing him to look up at me. “Why don’t we go and buy some food? I’ll pay for everything in honor of your extremely remarkable hard work.

Justin blinked four times and shook his head vigorously. “No.”

“No?” I sat up properly. “Why not?”

“Because I said no, Fredo,” he spoke with irritation in his voice, catching me by surprise.