Ch. 78 - Stars That Sparkle Your Name

~ Chapter 78: Stars That Sparkle Your Name ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

When I entered the hotel room Alfredo and I were staying at, the entire place was eerily quiet. It was a bit cold and I felt myself shiver before calling out Fredo’s name into the air.

“Fredo? Where are you, man?” I said, looking around the empty living room. I took a step forward. “You said it was an emergency.”

I heard slow footsteps and Alfredo showed up from the kitchen, his face a bit pale. I looked at him, feeling scared. The air was intense and I knew something was wrong but I didn’t know what.

“I’m sorry I went through your stuff,” he murmured.

I paused, confusion spreading throughout my body.

“Um.. W-what?” I asked. “What do you mean?”

“I agreed to do what she said but I didn’t think it would be like this..” he said quietly.

“What.. are you talking about?” I raised an eyebrow in concern. 

“Are you okay?”

Alfredo let out a sigh and pulled out a folded piece of paper from his pocket as well as an envelope. He held out his hand to me and looked deep into my eyes.

“Open it,” he instructed solemnly and I sucked in a breath of air.

I hesitantly reached towards him and grabbed the envelope, slowly opening the flap. I pulled out two pieces of paper and unfolded it.

From: Katie.

I looked up at Fredo.

“I’m not reading this,” I blurted out, remembering the last time I had found a letter from her.

“Justin, it’s important,” he said sternly, gazing at me dead in the eyes and I saw nothing but seriousness inside his irises.

I stared at him a while longer before sighing in defeat, raising the first page so my eyes could scan it:

It’s me again. Katie.

I know you must’ve received my previous letter a while ago. I hope you didn’t lose it. Listen carefully because.. Well, this is important to me. And it’s important to you too. I said I’d stay out of your way, and I’m keeping that promise, so there’s nothing to fear, really. I promise. Here’s what I wanted to tell you. There are two pages inside the envelope you just opened. Don’t read the second one yet. Instead, I want you to find the very first letter I sent to you. Can you do that?