Ch. 13 - Where Did We Go Wrong?

~ Chapter 13: Where Did We Go Wrong?  ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

“Morning, sunshine,” I heard a voice speak from behind me. Startled, I quickly turned to see Justin smiling at me. It was one of his true smiles, as if he had just woken up on a bright, Christmas morning to see presents under the tree.

“Hey,” I forced a smile, watching him approach me slowly. I tightened the grip I held on my phone before finally releasing it, settling it across the table.

“You look flustered,” he commented, pulling out a chair across from me and sitting on it. “What’s wrong?”

I looked at him, unsure of whether or not to tell him about the article I had read not too long ago. “Nothing’s wrong,” I sighed, crossing my legs and looking bravely at him. He stared back at me, waiting for me to say or do anything else, but I didn’t do anything except meet his gaze.

“You’re lying.” He leaned on his chair and stretched his back, his eyes becoming dark, causing his welcoming, brown eyes to turn into a challenging pitch-black.

Something tells me he doesn’t like being lied to…

“I’m not lying,” I kept up the act.

“Jackie,” he muttered, though it sounded more like a growl. “What’s wrong?”

“Why do you assume something’s wrong?” I scoffed, not giving up.

“Remember when you told me you can read me pretty well?” he asked, a small grin forming at the corner of his mouth. “I can read you too.”

“If you can read me so well, you’d know what’s really wrong,” I challenged.

“You didn’t know what was bothering me, did you? You only knew that something was.”

Darn… He has a point.

“Alright, fine,” I rolled my eyes, sitting up properly. “We have a problem.”

His eyebrows raised in confusion. “A problem?”

“A big problem,” my heart ached at the thought of what I was about to tell him.

“What is it?” he almost whispered, as if this was a secret between the two of us.

I sighed, picking up my phone and unlocking it. I navigated back towards my mail, re-clicking the link to the celebrity gossip article about us. I looked back at him hesitantly, slowly handing my phone over to him.

“Just read it,” I spoke softly, sorrow filling my tone. Confused at first, Justin did as he was told, reading the article in his hands as I watched, waiting to see his reaction.