Ch. 66 - Still Alive Today

~ Chapter 66: Still Alive Today ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

I blinked my eyes open, looking around the room and realizing that Jackie and I must’ve fallen asleep after a while. I looked down to see her cuddled to my chest, her eyes peacefully closed as she breathed at a steady pattern. I let out a small smile, feeling incredibly lucky that, after all the bullshit we’ve ever been through, I finally have her this close to me in my arms.

I kissed her forehead and gently stood up, replacing the spot I once sat on with a pillow so she wouldn’t wake up. I sleepily rubbed my eyes as I took my time walking over to my room. I pushed the door open and noticed that, through the window, the sky was getting pretty dark. I should probably take Jackie home soon.

I sighed, deciding I should head back before something on the bed caught my eye. Confused, I walked closer towards it, noticing that it was a small note.

When did that get there?

I looked around my room. Did someone put it there? The windows are closed and no one was here but Jackie and I, so where did that come from?

I bit my lip, approaching the note and looking at it:

“ for Justin ”

It said on the top.

I picked it up, unfolding it twice before realizing there was a paragraph-length note inside. I sat down on the bed, laying down on my back as I raised up the note in front of me, reading the words on the page:

Justin,

Mylife has been quite tough on me pretty much since I was born, as I may have mentioned to you before. I really have become used to the worst happening to me and I’ve been thinking about something lately. Itsucks that we met the way we did. Hate and confusion was really all we got from the two of us being together, if we were ever really “together” to begin with. Maybe I just made a mistake, and Scooter was right, but maybe Scooter was wrong, you never know. I want to make it clear to you that I only ever meant well, and I’m sorry—truly sorry, if I brought upon you any trouble. Just to have been with you for the short time that I was, is enough to make me happy, at least. I’d die for another chance to start over with you, but for now you don’t know where I am, and I’d love it if it stayed that way, just for a while..

“Not Exactly” Yours truly,

Katie

My eyes widened as I reread the letter. What does she mean she’d love it if I never knew where she was? How did she even get this note here? It wasn’t in my bed before so… just how, exactly?

I closed my eyes, letting out a deep breath before opening them back up and folding the letter back into the size I found it as. I stood up and opened the drawer of my nightstand, slipping the piece of paper inside before shutting the drawer closed. I heard shuffling outside the room and a door shut and I quickly followed the sound. As I got closer and closer to the living room, I heard keys being set down on a table and it didn’t take me long to see Mom putting down her purse on one of the loveseats. She looked up at me and smiled.